Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminders, does this make sense re:childcare vouchers?

(6 Posts)
smallpotato Wed 27-Jul-11 18:51:16

I asked a potential childminder for my DC today if she takes childcare vouchers. Her response: 'Well..... I can take them, but I don't really like to, you see basically the government give you the saving but then it's passed on to us and we end up paying more'.

After I put the phone down I thought hang on that doesn't really make sense does it? Is she basically saying if you pay by vouchers she has to pay tax but if I pay by cheque/direct debit she would try to dodge the tax? Or do you actually lose out by accepting vouchers? Going to see her on Tues anyway, but this has really confused me!

minderjinx Wed 27-Jul-11 19:04:52

I think she may be confusing childcare vouchers and government funded childcare. Some childminders can offer the statutory "free" childcare to 3 and 4 year olds but don't like to as the reimbursement offered by the government is not as much as they would otherwise charge for the hours, and entails more paperwork and is paid in arrears. Childcare vouchers on the other hand don't have any such disadvantages and are a sensible option in my view.

apotomak Wed 27-Jul-11 20:24:27

Makes no difference if I get paid by vouchers (if it's set up correctly), cash, transfer or cheque. Ask her to clarify what she means.

HSMM Wed 27-Jul-11 20:53:55

If I get paid by vouchers, I get the same amount (but often late).

If I accepted Government funding, I would get paid less (which is why I don't).

She might be getting the two confused?

smallpotato Wed 27-Jul-11 21:55:22

Thanks all, I will ask her about it again when I see her.

smallpotato Wed 27-Jul-11 21:55:26

Thanks all, I will ask her about it again when I see her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now