Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny/Housekeeper

(12 Posts)
NewNannyM Wed 27-Jul-11 14:50:03

Hello all,

I'm a new nanny just having started work this summer. I've done a lot of childcare previously - from teaching to after school care - but this is my first ful time nanny position.

I've been finding that my employer has been asking me to do a lot of cleaning and tidying, in fact so much so that I feel my time with the children is extremely limited. There were originally two children but she has actually put one into nursery because she felt that I wasn't getting all the household chores done with them both in the house.

This has completely thrown me off balance as I'm unsure whether this is a normal state of affairs or something specific to this family. If it is the latter then I would feel a lot more comfortable about approaching her and asking if we can review my priorities and duties, but I wanted to find out from other nannies and carers, or mothers/fathers/family members what exactly the break down of time is for them.

At the moment I would estimate that 30% of my time (this is a generous estimation) is spent solely with the children, and about 30/40% is keeping an eye on them while either cooking or cleaning. The remaining 30/40% is just household chores such as ironing, cleaning, hoovering, cooking, dusting.

Is this the average breakdown??

I know it's quite a specific question but I would really appreciate some feedback so I know how to approach my employer. Being new to this I don't want my inexperience to stop me from bringing up something that I feel should be addressed, but equally don't want to jump straight in with demands and requests when I am unsure of what the average nanny would get done for them in a day.

Thanks a lot smile

omletta Wed 27-Jul-11 14:54:57

Nannys dont do housework, other than that which specificaly pertains to the children (childrens meals, washing etc). What does your contract say? Do you have a job description?

nannynick Wed 27-Jul-11 15:09:51

Are you a nanny or a housekeeper? Maybe you are a bit of both.

As a nanny I would typically do:
A dishwasher load and unload
One or two clothes washing loads
I may get opportunity to fold and put away some clothes
I may vacuum once a week (or get the children to do some of it)
I will typically cook a meal once a day

I care for 3 children ranging in age from 8 months to 6 years old - so much of my time is childcare related rather than housework.

Baunir Wed 27-Jul-11 15:39:46

Do you have a contract? It should state what your duties are... if you have been hired as a nanny, I would say you've been given WAY too many household chores to do, but if hired as nanny/housekeeper it seems about right.

I care for two children, a one year old and a four year old. I do things like empty/load the dishwasher, cook meals, and obviously tidy up after myself and the children. When I've got the time (with younger one napping and older one at nursery) I might do some laundry and/or fold and put away clothes. I've occasionally been asked to do things like drop off dry cleaning... but NEVER to do any full-on cleaning in the house, that isn't what I was hired for.

Baunir Wed 27-Jul-11 15:44:45

So, I would say about 80% of my time is spent just on childcare, and 20% on other tasks while keeping an eye on the children or children are at nursery/napping/playdate. In the school holidays it's more like 90-10 as we get out and about quite a lot so less time to do anything other than the essential stuff!

fraktious Wed 27-Jul-11 15:51:54

I agree that if you've been hired as a nanny it's too much. If you're a nanny/housekeeper that's probably a little generous on rye household side but within reason.

It depends on the ages as to how much time you spend doing household stuff related to the children. With a baby I would maybe vacuum twice a week, with a toddler it would be more like every day!

IMO anything related to the children is fair game as a nanny. If you have a picky boss with high standards that can mean you spent a large portion of time doing chores.

omletta Wed 27-Jul-11 17:04:07

Golly I never expected my Nanny to do anything at all other than care for the children, make them a decent meal each day and insist that they (kids not nanny) picked up their toys etc.

This said she did do lost which was outside of that, but I suspect thats because it wasnt expected....

WindyAnna Wed 27-Jul-11 18:21:53

My nanny is only child related housework - washing and ironing, keeping the playroom and DD's room clean, cooking meals and clearing up after DD and NOC. I would say less than 5% of her time unless they 3 of them have demolished the house!!

Windy

nbee84 Wed 27-Jul-11 18:45:22

Windy - I think you are grossly underestimating the time it takes a nanny to do only child related chores.

I work 30 hours over 3 days. I strip 2 beds, remake them and wash and dry the sheets. I dust and hoover their bedroom once. I do one wash load of childrens clothes and dry them (don't iron) and one load of towels and dry them. I tidy the playroom daily (with childrens help) and hoover it once. I tidy any garden toys used daily. I clean the childrens bathroom. I also prepare/cook breakfast, lunch and dinner each day - so 9 meals.

All chores are child related and all normal (though not all nannies clean the dc's bathroom if there is a cleaner) and there's no way that I could do them all in less than 5% of my working hours - 5% is only 1½ hours.

nbee84 Wed 27-Jul-11 19:18:05

I don't forget that preparing meals means that you are loading the dishwasher, washing saucepans, wiping work surfaces, wiping dining table, sweeping floor under dining table. I unload the dishwasher once or twice a week as well.

Baunir Wed 27-Jul-11 19:36:14

I agree with nbee84. It takes an amazing amount of time to do just the basic things - which I suspect you already know, as a parent, and also assume your nanny does these things as it would be ridiculous for you to come home to a complete mess in the kitchen at the end of the day!

Just preparing a picnic lunch for an outing - then cleaning up the kitchen so it's not a mess when we get back - can take me quite a while... especially if the kids are a bit too excited to leave the house!

WindyAnna Wed 27-Jul-11 21:06:29

nbee - I must admit I did exclude food prep from my estimate, but I reckon on top of food she probably does about half an hour a day. Hoover maybe once a week in the relevant rooms, quick clear up at the end of the day, a couple of loads of washing a week and the bed changed once a week (if time allows). I do quite a lot myself, I do dishwasher, most of the washing and the cleaner does the rooms once a week. This is in the holidays, school days are different as she only works 4 hours and has no time to do any of the housework, just tea and activities, I wouldn't expect her to do anything else and pre-prep meals so she doesn't need to. childcare is her priority.

Windy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now