Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do I need/can afford ?

(14 Posts)
HeatherSmall Tue 26-Jul-11 13:15:19

My 3 children are at school and I have a baby.
My job is going to be an hour and a half commute and I could do with being there for 8 - 8.30 at the latest to avoid sitting on the motorway for two hours.
I think I could be back for the pick up and the days I can't there is an afterschool club.
What are the chances do you think of finding a childminder I could drop them at 7 am ?
If that wouldn't work would a au pair be able to take the children to school, pick them up and drop the baby at a childminders or nursery, is that allowed ?
Any advice welcomed especially on choosing a childminder we've had a few disasters with nannies and I don't think I can afford one anyway.

fraktious Tue 26-Jul-11 14:33:18

A competent au pair could probably cope. I believe strix has this kind of arrangement. What would you do about school holiday care in that case? Send the older ones to play-schemes? Whilst they may cope for 2 hours in the morning a full day is a big ask.

The chances of finding a CM with space for all of them are slim to none really!

mamamaisie Tue 26-Jul-11 15:22:52

In my area most childminders, including myself, are happy to start at 7am. I agree that it might be difficult to find somebody with that many spaces available but I think it is worth calling around. If any of the children are aged over 8 they won't count in the childminder's numbers so that would make it easier to find someone. In some areas childminders are really struggling while in other areas they all seem to be full so it depends a lot on where you live. You could try contacting your local childminding co-ordinator to find out if there is anybody who was recently registered or is about to become registered as they would have more space.

HeatherSmall Tue 26-Jul-11 17:32:46

I would definitely send them to a play scheme in the holidays, they want me to start next week though yikkes !

HeatherSmall Tue 02-Aug-11 22:42:05

Ok so I've found a childminder but she wants to charge me £35 for the baby, ie the same as a nursery so fine but then £15 each for the older children before school, which would put my bill at £400 a week, for which I could get a nanny, do others charge by the hour or is this the going rate ?

ChristinedePizan Tue 02-Aug-11 22:45:34

Is there no breakfast club at the school?

HeatherSmall Tue 02-Aug-11 22:54:09

There is but it starts at 8, I need to be there by then I think.
Back to the drawing board.

nannynick Tue 02-Aug-11 23:08:39

Not sure you could get a nanny for £400 a week.

What's the total cost of having a nanny - £36-£37,000 a year for 10 hours x 5 days per week.

With 3 children a nanny is certainly a possibility but you do need to look at the figures involved as there is more to it than just the nannies gross salary.

Daydreaming Wed 03-Aug-11 00:11:43

Do you have room for a live-in nanny? That would be the most cost effective option (and least stress for you).

ChristinedePizan Wed 03-Aug-11 09:29:19

Sorry - I really didn't read your OP properly blush

That does seem v expensive to me. I used to pay my CM £4.50/hour but she had DS all day. Obviously she does need to charge if looking after your DC for a few hours means that she's turning down all day work but if that is why it's so expensive, could you take them to breakfast club at 8?

HeatherSmall Wed 03-Aug-11 09:31:07

I don't need 10 x 5 hours nick, so I've looked into it and frankly your figures don't actually reflect my experiences at all tbh. I guess you are in London with different expectations, up here it's min wage and the children feed the ducks, whilst wearing a flat cap.

Live in would be great, I think that's the way forward.

HeatherSmall Wed 03-Aug-11 09:32:16

I wouldn't mind £4.50 an hour given that she is having them for 1 lol

agree heather for that money you could prob get a nanny to do 40hrs a week over 5 days for £350 gross maybe someone who is looking for first nanny job but has nursery experience. Perhaps a nanny would be worthwhile and as nanny is paid per family you would need to pay more in the school holidays, unless hrs are increased which doesnt sound like they would be as during term time would have care of baby during the day anyhow.

Obv you need to factor in employers NI on top of nanny salary, housing bills going up ie central heating, water, food bills etc. money for trips out, mileage etc.

nannynick Wed 03-Aug-11 21:31:36

Eastmidlandsnn can give you better idea of live-out nanny rates away from major cities I expect. You may find someone for around £7-8 gross per hour. If a nanny may be an option, then go through my workings and adjust it for your particular circumstances and the salary level you can get someone to accept. Use the link to the PAYE calculator to get a feel for the employers NI that would be due.

What hours do you need, you don't seem to be that clear about that - also would it change during times the school isn't open or are you after term-time care only?

A childminder may well be your best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now