Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help please - what is the name of the help I am after?

(10 Posts)
Kew08 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:06:05

Hello. I have 3 kids under 3 - DD is nearly 3 and 2 month old twins. DD goes to CM/nursery 3 days a week. Am on maternity leave currently and need help with drop off and pick up and just some time in the day to sit with the twins while I run errands or just shower! When I go back to work I'd still need help with drop off at two locations (twins will be with CM) and DD at nursery. I reckon it's about 12 hours a week so don't think a live in au pair is the answer. Not really sure what a mothers help is - is that it?Live out au pair - is there such a thing? Don't think I have enough work for a nanny. Would welcome any suggestions or clarifications. Thank you

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:39

You want a mother's help.

Mollymax Mon 25-Jul-11 19:12:02

It may be worth looking into a part time nanny or nanny share and then she/he can care for all your children together rather than using nursery and childminder. Unless you want to use a childminder of course.

Kew08 Mon 25-Jul-11 20:30:50

Thanks bibbitybobbityhat.
Mollymax - my DD is at the stage where she needs a nursery. I did think of having a nanny for the twins bit not sure I can afford it in London.

Mollymax Mon 25-Jul-11 21:05:48

Don't forget you will get the early years funding the term after she turns three.
Does sound like you need a mothers help then, maybe more of a " granny " type person.

fraktious Tue 26-Jul-11 07:40:10

Depending on how much your CM is a nanny might be affordable, particularly given the additional benefits of nursery duties, doing the nursery run etc. Plus you could potentially cut DD's nursery hours and you don't have to worry about childcare once she goes to school.

Do a work up of the budget but I wouldn't rule it out.

Mollymax Tue 26-Jul-11 19:23:22

I was thinking along the same lines as fraktious, especially once you get the 15 hours funding. You would not need to pay nursery fees then. Also a good nanny will keep your children stimulated.
It may be worth costing it all up.

Kew08 Tue 26-Jul-11 21:13:16

Thanks Fraktious and Mollymax. Will look in to nanny costs. I always reckoned it'd be expensive especially if I am paying the tax and NI. Any tips on costing would be helpful. The two 15 hours would cover the nursery costs so it's really that nanny costs I have to weigh up. Thanks for the advice.

fraktious Tue 26-Jul-11 23:48:13

You don't actually pay the tax/NI - that's what a gross salary is for grin. Of course many nannies still talk in terms of a desired net rate so you will need to do the conversion but there's a handy calculator to help

What's your budget and we can probably tell you what you'd get? Depending on where in London you are...

Kew08 Wed 27-Jul-11 13:41:00

Am based in Kew - West London. Reckon I could manage 1200/monthly gross maximum. Do you think that's doable for taking care of two plus drop off and pick of one more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now