Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When to start looking for a CM?

(6 Posts)
Muser Sun 24-Jul-11 20:10:28

I'm currently on maternity leave and not due back until March, possibly even April, next year. Lots of people I know are thinking about childcare and registering at nurseries already. I know I want to use a CM but I'm not sure when I'm meant to start looking. I'm assuming much closer to the time? I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing to be honest, it seems such a big decision to have to make! If I can safely not think about it for a good few months that would be a relief.

NickNacks Sun 24-Jul-11 20:46:58

I would enquire now TBH and see what the demand in your area is like.

I have a vacancy coming up in January (5 days) and have filled two of the days already so only have a part time 3 day week available. Depends how flexible you could be. If you need full time then def look now, but if you only need say one day a week and dont mind which day then obviously you could leave it a bit longer.

Surely if you are nervous about it then getting it sorted and having plans in place will be a weight off of your mind.

Good luck.

Muser Sun 24-Jul-11 22:03:59

I'd be looking for 3 days a week. You're right and getting it sorted should make me feel better. But when I think about going back to work I want to go and hide somewhere. Must toughen up and do it. I shall start investigating now. It just seems such a mammoth task, looking for someone who is going to be so important. And there seem to be tons of childminders around (I'm in London) so that makes it even more overwhelming.

Booh Mon 25-Jul-11 15:04:45

I'd look asap to be honest.

I'm a childminder and I can tell you that I don't have any space until September 2012!

Muser Mon 25-Jul-11 20:40:48

I'll get looking then. Thanks for the advice. My local council keeps a list of childminders with vacancies so I guess I start there.

NickNacks Mon 25-Jul-11 20:44:03

Try them all, not just the ones that show vacancies as these will be immediate starts. Many CM's know when they will have a space coming up due to current children starting school, moving out of ratios etc.

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now