Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mother's help - don't know where to start

(2 Posts)
Mmmmcheese Fri 22-Jul-11 11:57:52

I am pregnant with my second child and have pregnancy complications which mean that I need extra help with my 18 month old DS for 2 days a week, mainly just with things like lifting him in/out of high chair, pushchair, helping with his meals etc.

I have no idea how to go about finding one and don't want to pay massive agency fees. Also, what should I be looking for? Even just a student or something would be fine as i will be there all the time to supervise. Want to keep costs down as much as possible. it would only be for the next 4 months.

Any ideas?

fraktious Fri 22-Jul-11 12:54:28

First you need to narrow down how much help you need and when, then how much you can pay. If you can keep it under the thresholds for tax and NI it will be cheaper for you as you won't need to pay employers NI then either. Wages vary according to location - roughly whereabouts are you?

It's the summer so there will be lots of Uni students and newly qualified nannies looking for work. A student, unless they were local, would take you up until September. Put an ad on netmums and, Gumtree as that's where a lot of people will look. Childcare.co.uk and nannyjob are pricier options but still significantly cheaper than an agency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now