Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Urgent question- Holiday Mother's Help What should I pay/ expect?

(23 Posts)
YammaMamma Thu 21-Jul-11 20:30:38

Am about to go to Italy on holiday with twin 4 y/os and 8 m/o baby. My mother is going to be there already but we will need extra help as hubbie can't come. I have a lady who is willing to come and help but wanted to know what is reasonable to expect in return for full board and lodging and we were thinking in the region of £180- 200 a week pay. She would like £200 and looking online I think this should be for 6x 8hr days with one night baby sitting and one complete day off. My mum said she saw online that some people were saying 8-10 hours and two nights baby sitting with one day off- but I don't want to exploit. Does anyone else have any experience of this and what I should ask? Thanks.

YammaMamma Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:14

Oh yes forgot to say travel is included.

fraktious Fri 22-Jul-11 00:40:53

£200 for 48 hours over 6 days? I'd consider that a bargain! Expecting someone to do a 60 hour week, with only 1 day off, for £200 is a bit of a bug ask KNO.

It totally depends on the profile of the person going with you though. I'm assuming that with twins and a young baby you're looking at someone relatively experienced? Is it a net or gross figure you've arranged?

nannyl Fri 22-Jul-11 08:34:47

agree with fraktious

remember she is coming to work so dont think yourselves as generous for paying for travel / accomodation / food etc.

Personally id be expecting at least double pay than what you are offering, but then i'm a nanny, not a MH and have 11+ years experiance.

I have done many holidays with families, and not been paid a penny less than i would at home, which was always a lot more than £200 for 6 days shock

If she wants £200, id pay it, and not quibble or add extra hours and consider your selves lucky to have found someone happy to work all those hours for that pay!

YammaMamma Fri 22-Jul-11 08:39:27

I know, I thought that too but looking at lots of adverts after posting this- this is exactly what people offer (even less for full board/ lodging and help - not sole charge, therefore not a nanny). I wanted to speak to someone who had actually had experience of hiring a mother's help abroad and what they'd paid.

YammaMamma Fri 22-Jul-11 08:58:05

Unfortunately nannyl, double the amount of pay would be more than I get paid and that is the precise reason am looking for a mother's help not a nanny with your experience.

fraktious Fri 22-Jul-11 09:10:15

Well as a guide 8 years ago I was paid £250 for a week (7 days) of shared charge with 1 13 month old - travel, accomm etc all included.

I wasn't qualified or experienced and I didn't negotiate the salary as it was just presented to me as the deal but it seemed fair. I'm nit sure how many hours I worked but it was usually morning or afternoon and I did a couple of babysits too.

But it totally depends what you mean by a mother's help. If you're using it in the traditional sense then they'd be expected to do zone chores. What I suspect you're actually after is a bit more like a shared charge nanny or maybe even an au pair plus as they can work close to FT in holidays.

Different people have different worth. You say you don't need a sole charge nanny and in any case couldn't pay for one, which is fair enough, but you need to see what your budget would get you in terms if applicants and decide whether you're happy with it. In many ways it doesn't matter what people are asking as they may not be finding it!

For £200/week and those hours I'd be expecting to employ someone newly qualified or with a bit of experience who is maybe capable of working up to sole charge. Or a Uni student.

My nanny (abroad) is qualified and relatively experienced and therefore gets significantly more. The fact that you're abroad doesn't change the fact that you need to pay a fair wage for the work you expect and one person's idea of fair will differ from another.

Laquitar Fri 22-Jul-11 10:36:22

It could work if you drop a day. Then the nanny would have more time to see Italy and do shopping, museums etc. It also depends where in Italy you are based at.

YammaMamma Fri 22-Jul-11 11:42:29

Thanks so much for taking the time to enlighten me!

BeattieBow Fri 22-Jul-11 11:50:22

I think it's around £7-10 an hour depending on experience ime.

I have paid my live in au pairs £90 a week for 25 hours a week. so £200 sounds cheap to me too.

are you sure you wouldn't cope on your own with your mum's help? This isn't a competition but I'm unexpectedly having to go on holiday with my 5 children alone and although I'm not looking forward to it, and don't think it will be a walk in the park, I'm sure I'll manage?

YammaMamma Fri 22-Jul-11 13:40:10

Mum is 70 with sciatica so, no not really. I'm glad it isn't a competition as I'd LOSE hands down!

YammaMamma Fri 22-Jul-11 13:41:59

How is this for an real ad just found online - (not mine). You'll all love this one...

Looking for a person to live-in and carry out the role of a mother's help.She will work from 7am until 8pm during the week with mid-day break (Saturday from 7am - 9am) including 3 nights babysitting. A separate live out cleaner will come every saturday to carry out the hard cleaning. Mother's help will look after three young children when mother is not around; boy aged 11, girl aged 9 and boy aged 5 and a young dog. At 7am, she will help children get dressed, tidy bedrooms, serve breakfast, oversee teeth brushing, get children ready for school with necessary school/games/PE bags ready and shoes on (polished). Mother will be on hand every morning. Mother will take children to school except on certain occasions when mother's help is required to do this. Once children have left house, she will need to walk the dog for half hour. Mornings will be spent clearing breakfast plates and tidying kitchen, thoroughly tidying children's bedrooms, washing laundry, cleaning bedroom floors, dusting cupboards, desks, window sills and all surfaces. She will need to tidy and clean playroom every day. She will need to do supermarket shopping a buy food for dinner. After mid-day break, she will need to iron clothes, clean children's bathroom/toilet and prepare pyjamas. She will need to plan afternoon activities for children (coordinated with mother). At 3pm she will need to collect children from school and take to afternoon activities. Mother will occasionally help with this task too. From September onwards, mother will be studying on a full time course so will only occasionally be at home in afternoons. Mother's help/Nanny will be required to prepare dinner for the children, tidy up after dinner and leave kitchen very tidy. She will need to supervise homework when mother is not around in the evenings. Mother will return home by 5:30/6pm. Mother will walk dog in the evening. Mother's help will need to bath children and listen to younger two children read. We are looking for a very pro-active and responsible lady, who will be a tremendous support to the mother, between the ages of 20-30 years old, excellent English, ability to help children with their homework especially maths and English. She needs to be very clean, tidy, thorough and organised with excellent communication skills (in order to arrange play-dates, speak to teachers and get to know our three gorgeous children). She needs to be very hard working. She needs to be firm but kind to the children and help them have lots of fun and games. A degree of flexibility is also necessary. In the school holidays she needs to take them to the park, occupy the children with fun activities and take them to their holiday camps. She needs to speak excellent English (and Russian would be helpful too). She needs to have the appropriate visa and be able to drive in the uk with a full British driver's license. She is required to send her CV and photograph. Salary will be 200-300 per week depending on the right candidate. Saturdays and Sundays off (except Sat 7am - 9am).

fraktious Fri 22-Jul-11 14:31:47

Just because they're looking doesn't mean they'll find grin

Those expectations are particularly unrealistic though.

DaisyBug Fri 22-Jul-11 15:09:03

Yes, my thoughts exactly fraktious.

Those extra hours on a Saturday morning in particular are going to put a lot of people off. Competing jobs won't be asking for that and who really wants to get up at the crack of dawn on a weekend day when they don't have to?

redglow Fri 22-Jul-11 15:44:20

Who in their right mind would even apply for this job. I hate the whole tone of it. How do you prepare pyjamas?

cjbartlett Fri 22-Jul-11 15:52:04

The helping with homework and speaking to teachers is a bit shocking , wonder what the mother does at all except walk the dog grin

Laquitar Fri 22-Jul-11 16:31:00

As redglow said it is the whole tone in her ad that is more off putting than the hours. She sounds erm... a bit nightmare.

BeattieBow Sat 23-Jul-11 09:13:12

they get a midday break though! Lucky things

Sorry yamma wasn't intending to be mean. Hadn't realised that your mum was not young/fit. have you looked on gumtree for similar ads? I've just been looking for summer help (in this country) and qualified nannies want around £10 an hour, university students are £6 an hour and au pairs/mother's helps are somewhere in between.

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 23-Jul-11 09:33:05

I had to double check that ad to make sure it wasn't my first job... however the ages don't correlate and I was expected to work 5 hours every Sunday morning. one weekend in 4 I was allowed that Sunday morning off, as long as I'd worked 5 extra hours in the preceeding week to make them up!

nannynick Sat 23-Jul-11 09:58:33

Yamma - that ad will be on Gumtree I expect. Wonder if anyone would apply for such a job. I expect someone would, given unemployment levels currently people may apply for such a job, then plan to move on quickly.

nbee84 Sat 23-Jul-11 11:29:35

You'll always find ads (particularly on Gumtree) for jobs where the employer has a limited childcare budget (or is a tightwad!) and will take advantage of someone who is desperate for a job or someone young who either doesn't know any different or will take the job for a short period of time to gain some experience. It doesn't mean that you shold join them and do the same thing!

I think £200 for 6 x 8hr days a 1 night babysitting is just about reasonable - any more hours than that and I really think you ought to up the money. I'm presuming that as well as travel and accommodation you will pay for all meals and this should include her day off.

nannynick Sat 23-Jul-11 12:44:50

A full-time live-in job is different isn't it to doing a week or so in another country for someone on holiday? Would have thought the being away from the country would attract a bit of a premium.

I've only ever done special needs care on holidays, so I can't compare the costings easily - though what I would say is that my working hours were less and the pay was more. Though in reality on a holiday everyone just chips in and doesn't hour count, or say things like "that's not my job". So finding the right person to do it is very important. If you have found that ideal person and they have said what they want to be paid and it's affordable, then go with it.

YammaMamma Mon 25-Jul-11 23:33:11

Thanks everyone. Haven't been on here for a bit. I'm trying to stretch budget to £250 a week as I think that would be fairer and I wouldn't be worried all the time about asking too much- yes nbee84 all included. Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now