Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - payments for HOLIDAY ONLY CONTRACT

(8 Posts)
looneytune Thu 21-Jul-11 14:09:21

Hi all

One of my mindees has been with me since she was 8 weeks old and in September, they are going to a school I cannot collect from. This means that they will change to a Holiday Only contract from then sad

Anyway...........I've always been paid a fixed monthly fee based on the care required for the year, however, am unsure how to deal with this new holiday only contract? Before I give mum the option to choose, I wanted to get some things clear in my head as I don't want to regret what I decide! So my questions are:

1) Can you see any potential problem with them paying a set monthly fee based on just the school holidays? (if they want to pay this way)
2) What happens when you're given notice for a school holiday contract? I presume it's standard to have the usual 4 weeks notice?
3) Anyone have a booking system for adhoc holiday days? Reason for asking is that they'll also want care at times when it's not our term time (they are going to private school so have more hols) so those will be adhoc extras. Last half term I booked in an older sibling of a mindee I look after, got an enquiry from my adhoc school holiday person and turned them down as I was booked, only to have that booking cancelled and the other person had something else sorted. This lost me money so I'm thinking of a booking fee of some kind??? For overnight stays they have to pay a £10 deposit to confirm the booking. Just after ideas for school holiday bookings moving forward.

I THINK that's it. Any advice would be great, thanks smile

Danthe4th Thu 21-Jul-11 16:44:07

When I had this I used to ask for payment in advance when the holiday was booked so it would reserve the space, worked well for me.
I used to charge a slightly higher rate. I would ask for the whole week to be paid in advance it stopped mums saying that they were going to a friends house for the day and presuming they didn't have to pay me.

looneytune Thu 21-Jul-11 16:47:36

Was this for adhoc? Just that we'll have some adhoc but mostly it will be a proper school holiday only contract.

looneytune Thu 21-Jul-11 18:36:26

Any more? smile

missymoo2411 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:25:43

when giving notice off 4 weeks using ncma contracts its given using the holiday weeks not the term time weeks so say mum gave notice in april holidays which were 2 weeks long this would only be two off her weeks notice the other 2 weeks would be from the next set off holidays hope this makes sense . booking fee half off the weekly amount up front and also i put in my contract any hours booked but not used full fees apply .which require payment to be recived on the day request is made . need 4 weeks notice for child care to commence .(this part mainly for holiday contract but mum only uses me as and when needed as children are over 8 so not taking a place i dont charge a retainer until hours are comfirmed in writing with money .if it was just a phone call say the day before to cover id ask for full money on the morning child arrives .

HSMM Fri 22-Jul-11 19:21:48

On my mobile, so I can't remember all your post. I have 2 children on holiday only contracts. One pays a regular monthly standing order. The other pays by invoice each holiday. If I needed to give notice, I would just give it as soon as I needed to, because they're not on holiday when they're at school, just not attending. I have a few adhoc holiday people and I have been stung by last minute cancellations, but I have never got round to charging a fee. I just send out the invoice as soon as the space is booked and ask for a bank transfer.

looneytune Sat 23-Jul-11 11:06:20

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll not expect 4 weeks notice to be during the time with me as that seems a bit much and as HSMM says, it's not actual holiday time as there contract will show holiday only care. I'll do my standard 4 weeks notice then.

HSMM - do you find the monthly payments one works ok? They pay that way now which is what I prefer, just never had a formal holiday only contract before, only adhoc.

HSMM Sat 23-Jul-11 13:20:05

Yes, the monthly payment works ok. I send a statement each month, so it shows her ahead at the beginning of July and behind at the end of August. I do have a clear note on it that if the contract is terminated the balance must be paid, or refunded immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now