Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New nanny, what do I need to organise

(8 Posts)
PPPop Thu 21-Jul-11 13:01:12

So, my new nanny is starting soon. She is someone I know already through the nursery she used to work at so she has worked in a childcare environment before and has children of her own.

However, both of us are new to nanny arrangements so I need some help making sure we have things covered.

I have spoken to Morton Michel about eligibility for insurance and they are sending her some forms. She won't be ofsted registered (to start with anyway, we may consider this later so I can use vouchers).

I will contact my home insurance and get employers liability coverage sorted.

She won't be driving (to start with anyway) so I don't need motor insurance.

I will need to organise a payroll service and also a contract. Can anyone suggest good and reasonable payroll people I can contact and also good examples of template contracts for me to tailor?

I think she has done some first aid courses, but should I send her one one if not?

Is there anything else I have forgotten to do?!

mranchovy Thu 21-Jul-11 13:29:23

If you are using a payroll service, they will have a contract you can use. I don't recommend you use any of the free ones available on the web, all those I have seen are very much out of date.

If you want to go it alone, look at something like this or this - look for the Nanny Agreement under Other Contracts or this. None of these are perfect though, particularly for a live-in nanny.

PPPop Thu 21-Jul-11 15:35:45

Thank you, would you recommend a particular payroll service or are they all much the same? I looked at nannytax I think it was and it seemed to be all bells and whistles (but didn't say how much it cost!)

nannyl Thu 21-Jul-11 18:26:21

my previous bosses have used nannytax and nannypaye I think they are both the same but nannypaye is (or was) slightly cheaper

If she drives your children in her car she will need buisness class 1 insurance

pecanpie Thu 21-Jul-11 20:16:22

try PAYE for nannies. £135 for the year including contract service. They are good at calculating extra hours/amending payslip at short notice

cherub59 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:14:31

Nannytax is £260 a year and have been fab sorting out everything including maternity pay for our nanny and then a reduced fee for payroll for our temp. They file your tax electronically so you gets £100 rebate from mr tax man so I kind of think if the annual fee as 160 as I know I would cock the tax up IYSWIM!

PPPop Thu 21-Jul-11 21:54:12

Thanks will look into both of them

mranchovy Thu 21-Jul-11 23:59:56

The £100 rebate was four years ago! There hasn't been any rebate since 2008/9 and electronic filing is now mandatory (but HMRC provide a free system to do it if you want).

I think the cheapest company mentioned here represents good value, but I cannot recommend any as I have no personal experience (I am an accountant so I have always done it myself).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now