Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: Damn & Blast; I hate recruiting

(33 Posts)
KatyMac Wed 20-Jul-11 20:12:04

I thought I had my staffing all sorted for September and a new recruit has pulled out

Bu&&er, damn & blast

KatyMac Wed 20-Jul-11 21:45:13

& I've had too do the rotas again

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 21:50:33

Constant changes to rotas, not fun for anyone.

Any hope on finding someone else?

KatyMac Wed 20-Jul-11 21:53:32

With a setting specific CRB by the end of August?

& no applicants (because no job ad as it was word of mouth)

Maybe, I suppose

Start advertising tomorrow

KatyMac Wed 20-Jul-11 22:11:06

Where do I advertse?

Council website?
Don't think I can afford the paper <sigh>

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 22:22:16

Any local newsagents shops in the village, other local villages.

KatyMac Wed 20-Jul-11 22:25:10

I guess; I don't want to look desperate (even tho' I am)

minderjinx Thu 21-Jul-11 09:05:26

You could try Gumtree and Vivastreet.

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 10:10:03

Good idea

Thanks

fraktious Thu 21-Jul-11 10:14:11

Netmums childcare boards as well.

Local colleges with new level 2 or 3s looking for work?

What kind of person do you need?

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 10:28:03

Hmm

Mature, level 3 (or prepared to train), probably with children of their own (who can come here if need be), sensible, sense of humour and perfection, clean tidy & able to multi-task.

I'm expecting a bit much aren't I?

HoneyPablo Thu 21-Jul-11 10:32:27

Katymac, you have just described me! Although I am level 5 now I have finished my foundation degree grin. But the journey to work might be a bit long.
Have you tried the jobcentre? Also, try the local colleges, they should have a jobs section on their moodle. If they offer a foundation degree in early years then they will have some mature students too.

HoneyPablo Thu 21-Jul-11 10:33:40

I am an idiot grin I forgot I had name-changed grin I was purepurple

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 10:36:18

Well then, when are you moving?

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 10:50:50

OK

As I'm not having this person I can restructure a bit

I was having 27 hours plus 10 hrs p/ter to be recruited

But as I need to recruit I can get 2 people each doing about 18/20 hrs I think......

fraktious Thu 21-Jul-11 10:54:38

2 people would probably give you a better safety net, as there's potential for one to up their hours if necessary.

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 10:55:51

That's what I thought; with the potential for holiday & sickness cover

HoneyPablo Thu 21-Jul-11 10:58:56

Yes, but make sure they can be flexible when you need it. We have part-timers who have very rigid days/hours because of children being at school and sometimes they make us feel thay are doing us a favour just by being here.

minderjinx Thu 21-Jul-11 10:59:45

I've been pondering taking on a paid assistant myself (currently just have DH who works for his keep!) but am scared off by the thought of having to do loads of paperwork, tax etc; just wondered if you know of any "idiots guide" to employing someone and what is entailed admin-wise?

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 11:56:23

Does this work:

Due to expansion there are 2 part time positions (approx 16 hours to 20 hours) working within a well-qualified team in a small and friendly childcare setting which was last graded Outstanding by OFSTED.

The position is flexible and may occasionally need additional hours to cover sickness/holidays (subsidised childcare is available), full training will be provided.

Hours: Shift patterns either 8-1 or 1-6 (Mon – Fri)
Pay: £6.25 - £6.75 per hour (Subject to qualifications and experience).

Applicants must be enthusiastic about working with children, be capable of cooking a large evening meal and also be able to assist with some administrative duties. There will be a comprehensive induction program and the post necessitates a CRB check which employer will arrange; First Aid, Food Hygiene and professional training will be provided. It would be expected that the applicant would have or already be working towards a level 3 qualification although this can be arranged.

This is a great opportunity for someone who wishes to develop their career in childcare with the support of a friendly, outgoing team. Your role will help to maintain a safe, secure and happy environment, helping children achieve early learning goals and building positive relationships with parents.

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 11:58:01

idiots guide - um Business Link & HMRC are good

The HMRC basic PAYE tools are downloadable & fairly good to use

gardenpixies32 Thu 21-Jul-11 13:26:49

Katymac, I dont know if you would be interested in going down this route...

I have recently employed an apprentice from a local college. She is 20 and currently studying for her level 2 in some sort of childcare qualification. One of my parents works for this college and she suggested it to me. You have to employ them for 16 hours per week (minimum, and more if you want) and you pay them 2.50 per hour. You can pay them more as they gain experience and qualifications. The only thing you have to put up with is their mentors come in for an hour once a month to assess them. You dont have to do any paperwork though.

My apprentice has been with me for a month now and she is pretty good. She is enthusiastic, the kids like her and she is willing to learn.

If you are interested in this type of thing, you could contact local colleges and ask if they need placements for their apprentices.

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 15:08:48

I doubt I'd get them crb'd before I need them

But I'll look into it

KatyMac Thu 21-Jul-11 16:36:00

Well I have advertised

I am a bit sad about being let down; but I must move on

gardenpixies32 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:40:42

I rang Ofsted about the apprentice before she started and they said that if she wasnt left alone with the children and was signed in as a visitor she could work without a CRB check. Her crb check is in process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now