Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What should I do...?

(3 Posts)
mumof2biggerones Wed 20-Jul-11 19:06:37

Hi, I posted on here yesterday with regards to a child, who in my care fell off a bike, broke her arm and had to have an operation to reset the arm (I'm in Scotland and needed advice on how to notifty - that's been sorted) BUT

how do I move on from this incident? I saw the child today and she is as well as to be expected, but the guilt that this happened in my care is awful, even though I couldn't have prevented this happening and it was an accident. I had a child with me today and said no to playing on any bike or scooter, just in case... however, I know that this is ridiculous and I can't stop them forever.

The parents have both said that I'm not to worry about this at all and that accidents happen.

Have thought about jacking it all in today, but I really enjoy childminding and it fits in with our family committments.

Has anyone else had any experience of this happening and how did you move on?

gardenpixies32 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:07

Don't beat yourself up about it! Although, I am very much like you, I would be feeling dreadful! Just keep reminding yourself that children get fall over and get hurt sometimes, it is part of growing up.

Growing up I had...
A cracked elbow
A broken wrist
A broken ankle (twice!)
Broken finger and toe
Stitches on my knee and elbow (falling off my bike)
And I am still alive and have no deep rooted psychological disorders from it (I hope) :0

It could just as easily have happened while she was with her parents. I hope you feel better about it soon x

HSMM Wed 20-Jul-11 19:32:00

I had a child in my care break her arm last Summer. Worst thing was that I didn't even realise! I felt awful when her Mum phoned me after their visit to A&E. Her parents were lovely about it, but I still get very nervous when I pass the point on our walk where she tripped and fell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now