Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Online Course to BECOME a childminder..........

(12 Posts)
looneytune Wed 20-Jul-11 13:37:49

Just a quick one to say for those wanting to register as a childminder quickly and don't want to wait to go through the council, there is now an online course. I don't know much about it apart from hearing that someone had registered very quickly, got the CRBs etc. very quick and I was so surprised to hear about this new way of registering, i just googled it.

This is the link I came across if anyone is desperate enough to pay a few hundred pounds.

As I said, I know nothing more than this and have no time to research further right now but I thought some people might be interested to know about it smile

fraktious Wed 20-Jul-11 15:36:49

hmm so basically they charge you £330 for CYPOP5 plus their own diploma when you could do the course you need online for half the price at the same speed with MNT or the NCMA.

looneytune Wed 20-Jul-11 16:29:03

I'm doing a course with MNT at the moment but didn't realise they could do the whole registering etc. too? I thought this was the only way of doing it so quick (i.e. someone did it in less than 8 weeks I think) and they were happy to pay as it meant earning an income sooner.

I'm doing my course with MNT and it cost over £1k!! (funded though!).

So please don't anyone think I'm promoting this course, I haven't researched it, I just wanted to pass the info on!

fraktious Wed 20-Jul-11 19:17:15

They on

fraktious Wed 20-Jul-11 19:24:56

The course they offer is one unit of the full diploma plus some stuff they've made up and had accredited by NCFE. They can't take care of the actual registration - that still has to be done the normal way.

MNT offer CYPOP5, the same official course as above as a freestanding unit, or the full diploma.

Flisspaps Wed 20-Jul-11 19:26:42

But that doesn't include Ofsted registration forms which can only be obtained from a Council-led Briefing session (AFAIK), so you'd still need to see the LA in order to register - if it does include the Ofsted forms I apologise, but I can't see anywhere on the site where it shows these are done - and you need to have sent off your Ofsted registration forms in order to obtain the Ofsted CRB application.

Also it's not a requirement to hold any further qualification - our LA don't even do an ICP (L2) any more, which the inspector I saw last week was surprised about but said it wasn't necessary to hold.

All I hold is a First Aid certificate, ICO registration, Food Hygiene and the pre-reg briefing certificate.

Flisspaps Wed 20-Jul-11 19:29:05

It's also annoying me that they say 'Child Minder' rather than 'Childminder'.

looneytune Wed 20-Jul-11 19:39:59

Just popped back as someone messaged me, but I need to be quick as running around like a mad woman preparing for my MNT assessor visit tomorrow.

I was told it included the forms etc. and when I said I was surprised as CRBs are delayed by the police and not Ofsted but this person was sure that it included EVERYTHING. I was so surprised which is why I did a quick google. I'll try and catch this person at school tomorrow and get it confirmed and ask if this is the same company as the link. I was only trying to help by passing on this new info that I hadn't heard of. I must dash now but will come back when I have confirmed stuff.

Flisspaps Wed 20-Jul-11 19:49:21

I have messaged the company to ask. The Ofsted website still says:

^How to get an application pack

You can obtain an application pack for the Early Years Register from your local family information service. To get contact details for your nearest FIS please visit the Family Information Service website or your local authority website (A–Z of local authority websites), or look in your telephone directory.

Your family information service will give you the pack when you attend a childminding or childcare briefing session; it may also send you one if you want to be a childcare provider.^ but no mention about being able to apply online elsewhere. Will update when/if the company contact me!

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 19:55:45

The CR1 form is available online but I'm not sure the other things are, such as Health Declaration.

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 19:57:23

Just located the Health Declaration Booklet online.

Hmm, what other forms are needed for Ofsted registration? CR2 is online as well, if that's needed such as for other people living on premises.

Flisspaps Wed 20-Jul-11 20:49:28

Early Years Register form

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: