Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder costs question please!

(5 Posts)
Nyx Wed 20-Jul-11 10:38:32

I am just wondering if someone can let me know - how does a childminder charge for dropping a child off at school and picking them up?

We have a childminder at the moment who looks after DD while I work (3 days a week). We pay her so much per hour. She will need to drop DD off at school and pick her up on the three days I work each week - which she is happy to do. We haven't spoken about the money yet but I will need to sort it out and don't want to assume anything that's not right!

I understand that I need the childminder to hold a 'space' for DD - so that if there is a school holiday on the days that I work, for example, the childminder will be able to take DD all that day.

Am I right in thinking we will not be paying the same money we do at the moment - i.e. 9 hours a day for 3 days, every week? But equally, I do not expect to pay just for the hours she will be actually looking after DD either. Does anyone know what is the normal way of doing it?

Thanks in advance. I can't believe DD will be starting school so soon!

apotomak Wed 20-Jul-11 11:45:19

I'm a childminder and if the child is in full time education I charge an hourly fee for collecting and looking after them ... in school holiday I charge by the hour. The same for dropping off in the morning. I do not charge during the day when the child is at school as they are classed as rising 5 and do not take up a space for under 5 even if they are only 4 years old. In holiday I would charge by the hour as well.

Nyx Wed 20-Jul-11 13:10:36

Thanks apotomak. So when DD starts school, I will actually be paying the childminder only for the time she is with DD then? That doesn't seem like very much...I'm terrified in case she decides she can't drop off and pick up DD - it would be a disaster!

gardenpixies32 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:38:33

Hi,

I do what the PP said. I doubt she will expect you to pay while your daughter is at school. However, for drop offs and pick ups I dont just charge an hourly rate, I charge a slot. If a parent wants morning drop off and afternoon pick up plus a snack and care until 6pm, I would charge 25 per day for that 4 hours rather than my usual 4 pounds an hour. It is a set charge even if parents only use 2 or 3 hours of it. Then the normal hourly rate would apply in the holidays.

HTH smile

Nyx Wed 20-Jul-11 14:07:18

Thanks again. That sounds sort of what I was expecting, gardenpixies - I will now be able to go and ask her what she will be charging us for drop off, pick up, snack and care until 5pm for the three days a week I work.

Thanks both of you for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now