Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to become nanny/childminder

(18 Posts)
hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 21:21:03

I'm due to return to work Dec/Jan and I really don't want to so I was wondering if becoming a nanny/childminder would be another option that would allow me to earn money and look after DS at the same time.

Anyone know anything about it?

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 21:21:54

Yes

Flisspaps Tue 19-Jul-11 21:24:27

nannynick grin

If you want to become a childminder, you'll need to contact your local council - try the Family Services or Early Years department, you'll have to go to a briefing session where they'll tell you all about the registration process, the EYFS and that's the only place you can obtain the Ofsted registration forms - you can't do it without going through your LA.

hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 21:25:46

is it easy-ish to make enough money?

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 21:28:51

Oh, you probably wanted more than that didn't you...

Well, first people need to know where you are... different rules and procedures in different countries.

Then you need to decide if you want to care for many children from many families at your home - thus a childminder. Or if you are wanting to be a nanny, caring for children of just one family and working at that families home.

Then there is how much you want to earn. Also you need to consider what sort of career progression you have in your existing job and any pension you may be entitled to. Also have you been given more maternity pay than is due under statutory maternity pay? If so, then you may have obligations to return to work... so check that out with your employer.

Also look at what experience you have with young children of varying ages... do you have any such experience?

Consider the area in which you live... is there any demand for childcare? Are there people looking for childminders, or nannies. Would they pay enough to give you an income - do you need an income?

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 21:30:56

No job is easy. It takes time and dedication. It can also take investment as training courses and registration and equipment all cost money.

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 21:42:31

Looks like you may be near Sheffield - if so, head to Sheffinfolink.org.uk

You might also be interested to look at some inspection reports for childcare providers in the general area. I've done a 5 mile search based on S74 8HJ which results in 216 childminders.
If you are considering being a childminder, enter your own postcode then click search, to see how many other providers there are in a 5 mile, then 10 mile radius. Those would then be your competition. Also do the same for other provider types, such as Nurseries.

As you are in England, then you need to know about EYFS. The Framework and Guidance are the most important documents which I suggest you download and read at your leisure.

hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 21:44:58

I'm on maternity allowance, no SMP from employer. I'm not signed on the pension scheme and for career progression I would want to move from teaching assistant to primary school teacher which needs training, so much more difficult now thanks to the government.

I was a mother's helper for a year where I looked after a toddler in his home every weekend when I was 15 while helping with his special needs older siblings -was pretty much his mum for the day. I volunteered in a primary school during my last year at uni and worked for 6 months in a secondary school before going on Mat Leave.

I love working with children and am not too fussy about what area in which I do it in as long as I can do that and be successful at it.

I can't really look after too many children in my home as we are a two bedroom flat on the second floor, which I guess would make things difficult. Before I got my job in the school last year I looked into becoming a nanny in Sheffield, seemed to be a demand for it and my area now (still relatively close to Sheffield) doesn't seem to have many alternative childcare arrangements. Have seen 1 advert for a childminder in a local shop.

I would want to be able to care for DS at same time though, which I guess would limit options and job prospects

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 21:48:59

To get a feel for childcare demand in the area, this search on childcare.co.uk will give you some information about parents looking for childcare.

This search will show you some childminders in the area, which may give some indication of what other childminders charge. A quick glance seems to suggest childminder fees are around £3.50 an hour in the area.

nannynick Tue 19-Jul-11 22:05:57

What did you do at Uni? Personally I did a computing course... then took a job in computing and didn't like it much, so retrained in childcare (2 years at college).

Your experience caring for children seems a bit lacking... can you pad it out a bit. For example, did you do any youth work with say brownies/cubs/beavers/rainbows/religious group, have you done any babysitting.

Some parents looking for say an after-school nanny may well consider a nanny with their own young child. Parents looking for a full-time nanny however may well have very young children themselves and thus may not want another one around their home - they might but there is less chance I feel. Having DS with you will certainly limit the prospects, though does not rule things out completely. You will need to consider practicalities such as fitting children in the car, high chair and other baby equipment, how you would go about organising activities for children of various ages.

hellitops Wed 20-Jul-11 10:11:04

I did an English degree and I'm afraid I never managed any other childcare experience due to uni and then being pregnant. I'll try finding the website I used last summer but I probably don't have the right experience and everything. I don't drive yet as I used all my wage to move and get ready for DS and I know in the majority of cases I'll need to be able to.

Oh well, it was a nice idea. DS and I will just have to cope with me going back to work sad

Flisspaps Wed 20-Jul-11 18:15:29

hellitops I registered as a childminder last December. I can look after DD while I work, and I have a degree in Humanities with History, and no childcare experience to speak of other than a bit of babysitting about 15 years ago and a couple of months starting a childcare course in 1999 which I packed in. I don't drive.

I have one full-time mindee and two part-timers, so am pretty much full - don't think that the lack of experience or driving ability will be barriers to you. You can childmind in a flat as long as there is somewhere you can take children out to every day to make sure they get outdoor play time (local park?)

gardenpixies32 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:59:56

Hellitops, I agree with PP, you don't need to have much experience with children to become a childminder. You enjoy working with children, that is enough, IMO.

You are a teaching assistant? I think that counts as experience!

I did my degree in Psychology and taught in for 10 years in 3 secondary schools. I had only ever worked with children aged 11-19 and now I look after 5 babies! I dont have my own children and had never changed a nappy in my life! I now have 2 full time children and 3 part timers (in the under 5 age range). I was the only childminder on the ICP course not to have their own children! I think I am doing well. It is HARD work but I am enjoying it.

Good luck!

hellitops Wed 20-Jul-11 19:10:55

There's loads of grassy fields and a big park nearby, plus a play gym place and a walk by a river. How did you get into it? Do you make enough money?

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 21:00:22

As you don't drive, being a childminder could well work better than being a nanny. Are you in walking distance of some schools and pre-schools?

Do you need to make money? That would initially be a problem I expect as going to work you get paid. Being a childminder it may take a while to get children to care for, thus take a while to have an income. However you are your own boss as a childminder, so you may make more money than you would working (depending on your current job).

hellitops Wed 20-Jul-11 21:49:45

there is a primary school around the corner pretty much, plus another two nearby. There are also two day nurseries close by too. I would need to make as near as I can to what I would earn if I went back to work, so about £30 or so a day. Could I pm you once I've looked into it a bit more?

Thanks for all the help ladies

nannynick Wed 20-Jul-11 21:58:26

ladies hmm I'm a bloke, didn't you know grin

Try seeing if you can find some local childminders to chat with, perhaps at a toddler group or softplay, or at the park. Ask about, see what demand there is.

hellitops Thu 21-Jul-11 10:32:27

sorry nannynick blame lack of sleep and working thought processes blush thanks for all the help and advice and links

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now