Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders

(5 Posts)
duckdodgers Mon 18-Jul-11 16:18:26

I am on the verge of starting a new childminding business. I am working as a support worker just now, and have worked with children before. So it just seems like the logical thing to start doing, because I currently watch my own kids Monday to Friday and work at the weekend. The only issue is that I am man, and I am slightly concerned this might put parents off using me. I just wondered what other people thought about me starting childminding. Personally I am really looking forward to it.

apotomak Mon 18-Jul-11 17:25:05

I would say go for it. I don't know and single male childminders but I know plenty that childmind as a part of a couple. I know one stay at home dad who is amazing with children and we are trying to convince him to register. He will have no problem with filling his vacancies.

boombangabang Mon 18-Jul-11 18:59:02

I know one single male childminder and at least four who are part of a couple but registered in their own right. The male who works alone was helped enormously because he became friends with the 'queen bee' childminders in the area who would recommend him if they had no spaces (they never have any spaces but always get enquiries). Wish I could have done the same but they sadly didn't take to me when I was a newbie (feels sorry for self). However he does pass on people to me now that he is full so not all bad!
It may be useful for you to get friendly with other childminders in the area when you register for this reason!

Flisspaps Mon 18-Jul-11 19:00:26

Do it. The most recently registered male childminder in our area got an Outstanding report and is full.

duckdodgers Mon 18-Jul-11 19:59:44

Thanks for the good advice. I have become quite well known to other mothers and childminders in my area because of caring for my own children. So hopefully that should make parents aware that I am childminding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now