Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

HELP! Going to see a childminder tonight, what do I need to ask?

(11 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Mon 18-Jul-11 13:05:37

This is for after school care for DS, starting September. This feels like it's meant to be, as I have been stressing about this for ages, there aren't many CMs who do pick ups from his school, I had a list of about 5, once I'd whittled it down by hours and location, it left one, who happened to be the Ofsted outstanding. I have just called her, her DD starts the same school in September, and she has one space left!! She sounded lovely. So before I run in and snap her arm off could you please calm me down and tell me what I should be looking for/asking?
TBH (and this maybe exposes me as a bad mother) I'm not too fussed about what she does with him, as long as he is safe and happy - he will have been at school all day so I'd be happy for him to come back and play with his (hopefully) new little friend. Or even watch TV shock. As long as he is safe and happy and cared for.
I can also be flexible, if, for example her DD is ill one day, between me and DH we'd be able to pick him up no problem. We both work flexibly, we just can't do it every day iyswim.

So what should I be asking? What should I be finding out? Are there any huge signs I should be watching out for?

StealthPolarBear Mon 18-Jul-11 13:06:16

I am so sorry for that post, I can use full stops, I promise.
Look.
And here.

surfandturf Mon 18-Jul-11 13:17:18

The main thing would be to go with your gut instinct when you meet her / visit the setting. Will your DS be going full time during the holidays? If so, what activities will she provide, what is included in the cost - snacks? What will they be? If you ask for her EY number you can read her ofsted report online and you could ask for references if you want to be extra sure. Ask about costs for holidays etc as this can occasionally come as a shock to parents as some childminders charge even when they are away on holiday.
Good luck!

StealthPolarBear Mon 18-Jul-11 13:22:49

- Holiday cover (likely to be something we'd use)
- Snacks
- Charges for holidays - her and us

Her Ofsted is outstanding smile Couldn't be any better.

Thanks grin

StealthPolarBear Mon 18-Jul-11 13:48:18

bump for any more

StealthPolarBear Mon 18-Jul-11 13:49:02

- references
thanks, missed that one

snice Mon 18-Jul-11 13:51:22

do you want to find out how many other children she will have and their ages?

StealthPolarBear Tue 19-Jul-11 13:11:49

Well she was lovely, DS just went in and started playing! We are going back on Saturday but so far we have asked her to hold the place for us.
She has also said she has a place for DD, we already have a nursery place for her but I am so tempted! They would be together (after school only I know) which would be lovely as she adores him, and it would make drop offs and pick ups so much easier.
ohhhhhhhhh I am so torn

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Jul-11 12:14:51

sorry bump again, we;re both going to see her this afternoon, going to ask for references - anything else we should be asking?

StealthPolarBear Sat 23-Jul-11 12:39:56

bump

HavePatience Sat 23-Jul-11 19:58:09

How did you get on? I asked about things that I was most worried about - where DS would sleep, what time she has school/nursery runs, communication handover at end of day, could I send my own food/what food would she serve, what would happen if my DS did something naughty (discipline procedures), which playgroups she attended, carseat or buggy arrangements... Can you tell this is my pfb ? grin
Cm is fabulous, btw. What area are you in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now