Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair

(9 Posts)
JacieLou Sun 17-Jul-11 17:16:00

Hi all smile

This topic may have been covered many times before but im new and dont know my way around yet.

I have an interview tomorrow with a mum who is offering me a job as a 'live out au pair' looking at a lot of websites i have now discovered that these dont really exist.

She hasnt told me what i would be working (thats if i get the job) but her previous live in au pair worked 6 days a week, some weekends and some evenings.

My question is, what should i charge to look after her two children? should i suggest a hour or day rate? confused

I'm 22 and have no childcare qualifications (i do have a level 3 in health studies though) I have over 8 years experience looking after children from newborn to 14 years in the UK, France and Turkey. I have worked as a nanny, children crèche worker and in schools. I have sibling, newborn and twin experience. I have been the sole carer overnight, for weekly and weekend periods.

I've done school runs, attended mother and toddler groups and been a support to the family, helping with children?s laundry and keeping their rooms tidy.

I have a full clean driving license but am not a car owner, the mum has said she may be able to help me out with this although has not stated how. I live approximatly 4 miles from her house.

Any help would be appriciated grin

Jacie

BrightonWalk Sun 17-Jul-11 17:39:17

I am looking for an au pair myself and new to this but from my research, there is no such thing as a live out au pair. They usually live in.

JacieLou Sun 17-Jul-11 17:48:59

thats what ive discovered, as they live in and get their board, food etc paid for they are paid approx £55ish 'pocket money'. im not sure what my job title is and how my pay would be figured out

fraktious Sun 17-Jul-11 17:53:44

You would be a nanny, possibly a mothers help depending on duties. You should be paid hourly and have tax and NI deducted from your pay.

Pay is variable depending in experience, hours etc but you can expect at least minimum wage. You don't say where in the country you are but it could be anything from £7-11 gross, central London being the top of that scale.

And unless you're an A2 national there's no such thing as an au pair.

JacieLou Sun 17-Jul-11 18:07:42

can i still be classed as a nanny if i don't have qualifications?? she hasnt mentioned what my duties would be but i automatically presumed that there will be light housework involved.

im in warwick, does anyone know how i would get paid. All previous childcare (completed in the UK) has been cash in hand paid weekly.

JacieLou Sun 17-Jul-11 18:18:33

or on the day

fraktious Sun 17-Jul-11 18:24:58

Don't do CIH. You need to be above board and legit.

Nanny is a j

fraktious Sun 17-Jul-11 18:27:02

Nanny is a job description not a protected title. Anyone can call themselves a nanny if they are doing that job.

Warwick around £7.50-8.50 gross, depending on working hours and duties. London is most expensive, then home counties, then you basically have the rest of the country!

JacieLou Sun 17-Jul-11 18:47:57

thankyou. Just hope i get the job now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now