Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding while your own dc's are young

(16 Posts)
nomdeploom Fri 15-Jul-11 23:10:57

I am considering registering to take on a full time under school age child. Both my dc's will be at home (they are 2 and 4 months) and I am a little bit worried how this will affect my youngest. I wondered if people could share their experience of childminding while their own dc were quite young. Youngest will obviously be a bit older by the time I am registered but most likely still under 1.

Am a bit tired so sorry if this is a bit waffle-y!

littlenuttree Fri 15-Jul-11 23:23:11

I registered when DD1 was 13mths and she loves the company! I was worried that she'd be jealous, but she never seemed to be. I took on a little boy the same age as her when I first started and looked after him until my DD2 was born (18mths later) and he and DD1 are best friends now and play together in a way that they don't with other children. They're almost like brother and sister! I took 6mths off after DD2 was born and am due to go back in a few weeks, and DD1 is so excited about having other children in the house again!

I think that the childminding has worked brilliantly. I'm not saying I'd do it forever, but it's great to be at home with the little ones and still earn money. It can be a pain with all the paperwork, but if you keep on top of it you should be fine. smile

moogster1a Sat 16-Jul-11 08:40:01

I started when ds1 was 6 months and took on a 12 mnth old and they've grown up together and are now best buddies at 5 years old.
My ds2 is now 1 year old and has his own 2 little best mates and I took 6 weeks off after having him.
I think it makes them better rounded people as they learn to share both toys and your attention.
if you can get a child of the same'ish age it's wonderful!

looneytune Sat 16-Jul-11 09:33:15

I started when my now 8 year old ds was 2.5. He loved it but struggled with me going from just him to 5 children quite quickly (and it was around the summer holidays so longs days). He had to learn to share mummy and all the toys and so it was hard to start with but the positives outwayed the problems.

I took 12 weeks off when I had ds2 and when I started back when he was 10 weeks old, he seemed to really enjoy having a busy lively house and all the kiddies loved him. When I started back I ended up with him at 10 weeks old, an 8 month old, 17 month old, 18 month old, 4 year old and of course his 5 year old brother. The 4 year old adored him and they still have a special bond and the other 3 little mindees were similar enough in age for them to be very close now. They are now 3, 3, 4 and 4 (the little ones) and the relationship is a love hate one i.e. like siblings!! As much as they have their moments, I think it's done him the world of good and although it was hard work for me, I'm very pleased. He's about to start nursery attached to the school and not only has he got his older brother to look out for him, he's now got LOTS of children (newer mindees, ex mindees etc) at the school who are looking forward to keeping their eye on him smile

I agree about the paperwork, you really need to keep on top of it otherwise it can be stressful. Unfortunately because I work to full capacity (usually 7 children each day), I struggle to keep on top of my paperwork. If I was on top of it, I think I could manage to do it regularly but my head isn't very good at dealing with backlogs!!

nomdeploom Sat 16-Jul-11 11:57:15

Thanks for all your replies smile

7 kids looney, jeezo!

I was thinking that I would get an accountant to do all my accounts for me (dont have the best had for figres). Is there a lot of ongoing paperwork to be done? I have completed the indcuction training and we discussed risk asessments and other halt & safety paperwork

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 16-Jul-11 12:04:46

observing and recording the children's progress
creating and reviewing policies and procedures
logging fire/evac drills
logging alarm tests
logging FA box checks
creating and reviewing RAs
food handling log (can't remember the name of it at the moment, safer food??)

there are more but I'm v tired and can't think blush

my children were pre school and school age when I started so they are used to it after 6 yrs, my top tip is to not work every day of every holiday so that your own children get you to themselves sometimes; it's a BRILLIANT job if it suits you and your family

looneytune Sat 16-Jul-11 18:36:43

7 kids isn't that much for us childminders really wink. It was just 6 until my ds1 turned 8 this year and I bought an 8 seater car!

I agree about the holidays! I used to work all the school holidays as it was bonus money but now I make sure 1 or 2 weeks are taken during holiday time so my 8 year old gets some much needed quality time. That gets more important as they get older ime.

I'm actually starting to wind Fridays down so by Sept next year, I shouldn't be working Fridays at all (apart from maybe in the hols). I need an admin/housework day as I struggle to keep on top of it all (I do my own accounts which would be easy if I was more organised - a big factor is TIME!!!).

Great job though smile

Flisspaps Sat 16-Jul-11 18:39:10

I love it. DD is 16mo, my full timer is just 10 weeks younger. They entertain each other and are not keen for me to involve myself in their day! They follow each other aound and play alongside each other all day. I have a 3 yo part-timer and they absolutely adore her, and she them. It's great.

It's definitely easier than just having DD.

The only thing would be with two little ones you'd be restricted as to how many under 5s you could mind.

nomdeploom Sat 16-Jul-11 21:17:17

Flis I can take on one more under school age. If I can find a f/t child to mind that would prob make me enough money to get by. Otherwise I could do some after school care.

My plan was to negotiate 4 weeks off through the year (2x2 weeks, one of which would be during the school holidays). Would you say that is pretty normal, or do most cm's not take any holidays?! I was thinking that I would charge for mindees parents holidays but not mine.

Sorry lots of questions!! I am glad to hear that people find it enjoyable. Although I am sure it will be hard to get the time for all the paperwork, I am thinking that over all it will be a good balance for our family smile

nannynick Sat 16-Jul-11 21:44:24

Your children are 2 and 4months. The registration process could well take 6 months or so, so by the time you are registered your youngest could be 1 year old. So that might mean you could take on one other child child aged 4 (not in full time school) or under. It would depend on space available and possibly other factors.

If you get registered quicker than 6 months, then I am not sure if the regulator would let you care for 2 children under 1 year old as a new minder.

Question for childminders: have any of you been given approval for 2 under 1's when you were first registered? I think it may be possible if already level 3 qualified and experienced with babies, but would the regulator permit it without having that?

>I was thinking that I would charge for mindees parents holidays but not mine.

That sounds a reasonable way of doing things. Mindees parents can then choose to take them at the same time as you are also on holiday thus they would not be charged - or would you still charge?

nannynick Sat 16-Jul-11 21:47:07

Sorry, ignore me about the under 1's question... just reread your OP and you aren't saying that the mindee would be under 1. Though it is something to keep in mind, as parents who are looking for full-time care could well have a baby.

nomdeploom Sun 17-Jul-11 09:04:49

nanny I hadnt actually thought of that! I dont suppose I could change the agreement and charge them if they aranged their hols at the same time as me tho

hellospoon Sun 17-Jul-11 22:45:28

Those of you who have had babies whilst being a childminder how have you overcome the mat leave thing? what do the parents do for childcare?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 20-Jul-11 20:24:22

I got pregnant with my 1st just before I started to childmind and it just changed my passion for other peoples children completely as I only wanted to focus on my own DC, not anybody elses. It was totally unforseen really. But I did it for 3yrs and TBH I didn't enjoy it, I found it stressful and it took my time away from my own DC so by the time I went on maternity leave with DC2 I decided that I wasn't going to go back to childminding.

It's great if you have the patience of a saint, don't mind repetitive, isolated days, mess and stress and don't mind having to divide your attention between other people's children and your own! I did enjoy parts of it but the negatives outweighed the positives for me in the end! Had I not got pregnant then it might have been a different story!

balijay Wed 20-Jul-11 21:14:25

DC3 was 13 weeks when I returned to childminding after my maternity leave. She is now nearly 8 months and I can honestly say she loves the children who come in each day - there is always someone for her to watch/play with, she thrives on the routine and general hustle and hustle of our days. In fact I would go as far as to say she is positively grumpy and bored when it is just me and her at home! So only positive comments here - go for it!

balijay Wed 20-Jul-11 21:18:56

hellospoon the children I mind are all part time so when I was off for 4 months the parents just muddled through using their grandparents/friends etc. Would be more difficult if full time care is required but other local childminders can sometimes step in to cover maternity leave if they have vacancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now