Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - Evacuation Plan & front doors etc.......

(5 Posts)
looneytune Fri 15-Jul-11 10:45:48

Just a quicky, will come back to work on this later.............I just wondered what the general view is with regards to locked front doors (to keep children secure) and emergency evacuation plans?

ANY views or sample plans would be much appreciated. I just want to double check something before I have my assessor visit (for my Diploma) next week.

TIA smile

TwistAndShout Fri 15-Jul-11 11:05:15

I keep doors locked but a key to each door on a hook above the door, that I can reach in a hurry but the children can't.

Is that what you mean?

Blurry29 Fri 15-Jul-11 12:02:35

i'm the same as twistandshout.........

Doors locked with a hook above that only an adult can reach.

I have evacuation plans just incase especially fire evacuation that shows:

1. Different routes of exit depending on where emergancy is
2. Where fire blanket/ext's are
3. Whether I have resources available should I need to evacuate from upstairs......

Good luck smile

looneytune Fri 15-Jul-11 12:23:23

Thanks all. I have similar too but was just concerned that she might say what happens if something happens to me and I can't open the door! I feel that the risk of escape is greater than the risk of a fire but I wanted to check what others had down.

Keep them coming smile

HSMM Fri 15-Jul-11 13:16:55

My policies clearly state that in the event of a fire, if the adults are incapacitated, the younger children may not be able to get out of the house. Older children are shown where the key is to get into the back garden, which is secure. I also state in my policies that the play room is the most fire proof room in the house and therefore the safest (although obviously it is not ideal for a child to be trapped in there). As you say, without an adult, they may be at greater risk in the garden. Our neighbours are home all day and would probably hear the smoke alarms.

I am a bit less worried about this, now that there are usually 2 of us working together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now