Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

do any nannies just work school holidays

(7 Posts)
slovenlydotcom Thu 14-Jul-11 17:01:10

as I work, my dc's go to grandparents for most of the summer holidays, which is great, but I want them to be around a bit now they are older to see their friends; is it completely barking to think that next year I could find a nanny to look after them for 7 hours a day just for the 6 weeks-well it would be less than that as I take annual leave for a couple of weeks

and if it is possible, would a nanny be prepared to have friends round to play or take them places?

can you tell I have no experience with a nanny?

and finally, if all that were possible, where would I find such a person!!

Ebb Thu 14-Jul-11 17:48:12

Yes it's possible. A lot of nannies work term time only so may welcome the extra money or you may find a teacher/trainee teacher who would be interested. Try advertising on Nannyjob, Gumtree and Childcare.co.uk. A nanny would be happy to host playdates and take them out and about.

slovenlydotcom Thu 14-Jul-11 18:12:35

thank you ebb.

strawberrie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:06:00

My boss used to do this quite successfully - she used to advertise on Gumtree and take on student primary teachers (her boys were about 4 & 7 the 1st year I think) - it worked really well as it was good experience for the nannies, and often they would continue to work in the following October/Christmas holidays and do some occasional babysitting. In her experience, what the nannies lacked in experience they made up for in enthusiasm.

catepilarr Thu 14-Jul-11 21:28:30

i for example work in the summer holiday only as i study full time back in my home country over the school year. there should be plenty of people looking for summer work.

slovenlydotcom Fri 15-Jul-11 07:10:21

thank you guys, I have left it too late for this summer so I may try it for October half -term.

fraktious Fri 15-Jul-11 07:48:35

I don't think you've left it too late. Have a look on Gumtree, netmums and nannyjob for local candidates

There are also newly qualified nannies just out of college who may well not have jobs lined up yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now