Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Daily diaries; another approach

(18 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 21:41:20

Daily diaries are getting harder, we have 10-12 to do a day

So we are thinking about printing our a proforma & binding it

But how do I bind it? It all looks labour intensive & expensive; any good ideas?

catepilarr Tue 12-Jul-11 21:51:52

i am sure you can get these photocopying shops in the uk ( we have them i my country) whre you just walk in, hand over a pile of papers and they bind them with a plastic or metal spiral and put a cover in as well? takes about five minutes.

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 21:54:22

Yep at £3.50 a book (I checked) - ouch too expensive (I'm stingy)

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:04:55

I'd buy a binder (as I could use it for other things) but it all looks so complicated - esp as I want A5

nannynick Tue 12-Jul-11 22:06:25

You used to be able to get plastic strips which would hold paper. Not seen them for years - are they still around. May not be that good.

How about a hole punch and a ring binder?

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:09:43

Ring binders lose their sheets - these get stuffed into bags each day & the children love looking through them I don't think they will be robust enough

I was looking at spiral or ring binders (£150-£200) but only 10-20p per bind

I use about 50-80 books a year & pay £2 a book atm

Plus I could bind my brochure too

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:15:33

BTW Nick - I sent you a draft proforma

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:29:05

I guess I see something elegent and classy; but I'll end up with a stapled exercise book sad

fairimum Tue 12-Jul-11 22:36:57

you need spine bars!
www.stationerysuppliesuk.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=DB291101 Just slide on the edge of the papers and keep them together - work well with thin card back and front, or even laminated front smile

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:44:24

I use them already for our brochure but I don't think it would be robust enough for a diary

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 08:57:21

Thinking about this again today

gardenpixies32 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:35:53

Hi.

I use a spiral bound diary which I bought online. They do cost four pounds each but what I do is I give the first one to a child who starts with me for no charge then I ask parents to pay for the second and consecutive ones (they last 4 months if a child attends 3 days a week). If they choose not to buy them I send an email at the end of the day with the same outline as the diary. You could have a proforma tick sheet, whereby you list the activites/crafts etc and tick them. This way you would only have to write a short paragraph/sentence at the end?

I havent found it to be a problem with the binding coming loose.

HTH smile

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 13:38:41

Yes I want to bind a preprinted proforma, & be lazy with writing

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 20:08:45

Parent are giving mixed reviews of the idea

HSMM Thu 14-Jul-11 07:54:18

Some techie Childminder will come along soon, with a fantastic free online system we can all use smile

KatyMac Thu 14-Jul-11 07:59:39

Dear God no

I like a book, it can be stored (in a shoebox) & destroyed by mice treasured for ever

thebody Thu 14-Jul-11 21:50:30

god katie.. 10 to 12 a day?? thats tough..

KatyMac Thu 14-Jul-11 22:00:58

I think I have 1 person on diaries/nappies/bottles the whole day

Diaries are nice but are they wasted time; the proforma should be better - do you want to see?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: