Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Daily diaries; another approach

(18 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 21:41:20

Daily diaries are getting harder, we have 10-12 to do a day

So we are thinking about printing our a proforma & binding it

But how do I bind it? It all looks labour intensive & expensive; any good ideas?

catepilarr Tue 12-Jul-11 21:51:52

i am sure you can get these photocopying shops in the uk ( we have them i my country) whre you just walk in, hand over a pile of papers and they bind them with a plastic or metal spiral and put a cover in as well? takes about five minutes.

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 21:54:22

Yep at £3.50 a book (I checked) - ouch too expensive (I'm stingy)

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:04:55

I'd buy a binder (as I could use it for other things) but it all looks so complicated - esp as I want A5

nannynick Tue 12-Jul-11 22:06:25

You used to be able to get plastic strips which would hold paper. Not seen them for years - are they still around. May not be that good.

How about a hole punch and a ring binder?

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:09:43

Ring binders lose their sheets - these get stuffed into bags each day & the children love looking through them I don't think they will be robust enough

I was looking at spiral or ring binders (£150-£200) but only 10-20p per bind

I use about 50-80 books a year & pay £2 a book atm

Plus I could bind my brochure too

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:15:33

BTW Nick - I sent you a draft proforma

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:29:05

I guess I see something elegent and classy; but I'll end up with a stapled exercise book sad

fairimum Tue 12-Jul-11 22:36:57

you need spine bars!
www.stationerysuppliesuk.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=DB291101 Just slide on the edge of the papers and keep them together - work well with thin card back and front, or even laminated front smile

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 22:44:24

I use them already for our brochure but I don't think it would be robust enough for a diary

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 08:57:21

Thinking about this again today

gardenpixies32 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:35:53

Hi.

I use a spiral bound diary which I bought online. They do cost four pounds each but what I do is I give the first one to a child who starts with me for no charge then I ask parents to pay for the second and consecutive ones (they last 4 months if a child attends 3 days a week). If they choose not to buy them I send an email at the end of the day with the same outline as the diary. You could have a proforma tick sheet, whereby you list the activites/crafts etc and tick them. This way you would only have to write a short paragraph/sentence at the end?

I havent found it to be a problem with the binding coming loose.

HTH smile

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 13:38:41

Yes I want to bind a preprinted proforma, & be lazy with writing

KatyMac Wed 13-Jul-11 20:08:45

Parent are giving mixed reviews of the idea

HSMM Thu 14-Jul-11 07:54:18

Some techie Childminder will come along soon, with a fantastic free online system we can all use smile

KatyMac Thu 14-Jul-11 07:59:39

Dear God no

I like a book, it can be stored (in a shoebox) & destroyed by mice treasured for ever

thebody Thu 14-Jul-11 21:50:30

god katie.. 10 to 12 a day?? thats tough..

KatyMac Thu 14-Jul-11 22:00:58

I think I have 1 person on diaries/nappies/bottles the whole day

Diaries are nice but are they wasted time; the proforma should be better - do you want to see?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now