Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny and pre-school

(8 Posts)
lobsters Mon 11-Jul-11 19:47:30

DD has been offered a a place at pre-school starting in September, which was sooner than I expected. It would be 3 mornings a week 9.15 - 12, with walking there and back and being on time, our nanny would have about 2 to 2 1/2 hours free those mornings. Would it be reasonable to ask her to do something like some ironing or cooking meals for me and DH (stews etc) as we will still be paying her. Clearly we wouldn't expect her to do this during school holidays.

surpriseme Mon 11-Jul-11 19:52:01

You can always ask-the worse she can say is no.Depends on nanny whether she wants to or not.The usual is that the nanny still gets paid the same but does all nursery duties,cooking for kids,errands inc dry cleaning etc while children are at nursery but if she enjoys cooking she may say she'll cook extra of what she is cooking for the kids

eurycantha Mon 11-Jul-11 19:54:49

I always did the ironing while the children were at nursery,I would generally cook something for the children and then make a bigger Lasagne/pie etc so that the parents can have some.I found that the couple of hours they are at nursery fly by and once you`ve tidied up after the morning breakfast rush and whizzed around their rooms I didn`t have masses of time left.

MogandMe Mon 11-Jul-11 20:15:19

When my charge is at nursery I; batch cook, iron, tidy toys, run errands such as books to library, go to the toy library for different toys, research whats new in the area, sort out photo albums etc and also have time for coffees with friends smile

Oligo Mon 11-Jul-11 21:32:23

I wouldn't do it. But I'd also feel bad that I said no because by asking your expecations were that I might have said yes. I'd feel I got a lunch break back and could do other child related things during that time. It is hard to say no to things when your boss thinks they are reasonable, and in the past I might have said yes and then resented it. I don't think it is something you can ask for unless you had discusses this scenario at the start.

Dozer Tue 12-Jul-11 13:21:39

I think it'd totally reasonable to ask, and adjust the job description a bit.

harrietthespook Tue 12-Jul-11 13:48:11

Contracts can change when people's circumstances change. The fact that you didn't discuss these activities when you first hired her doesn't mean you can't bring it up now. But, be prepared she might say no.

What I would do in your shoes personally is think of a sort of compromise solution.

I wouldn't ask a nanny to make my dinner BUT I would make sure she has the ingredients to make enough food which would cover the DCs and yourselves later. If you see what I mean. I think this is reasonable to say if she is cooking away, can she make a larger portion.

bubaluchy Wed 13-Jul-11 20:35:07

I think that would be perfectly acceptable, she could do it at her own pace, have a cuppa in between tasks, maybe listen to music whilst doing the jobs, I am a nanny and my boss always asks really humbly with respect and I'm more than happy to help her after all I am being paid for that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now