Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder has assistant

(7 Posts)
shazx Sun 10-Jul-11 20:34:29

My son is nearly a year old and he needs a new childminder as we are moving house. I found a very good one, whose husband is also her assistant. So they can have up to 6 under 3s per day. They also have 2 children of their own (3 & 6ish), who are there after school. The minders look very good, but I'm a bit worried that it might be too busy for my boy. Any thoughts would be very welcome, thanks.

buttonandjess Sun 10-Jul-11 20:36:16

Go with your gut instinct on this. 6 under 3's is a lot - however, this depends on their capabilities/size of house etc etc. How are they doing school runs?

missmapp Sun 10-Jul-11 20:39:28

My sons cm recently had an assistant and looks after a similar number of children(aswell as 2 of her own). DS1 is 6 and only there before and after school and I am quite happy with the care and he enjoys the lots of children, but ds2 ( who has been at nursery) is about to start with cm and I deliberatly put him into more pre-school sessions so he was only at cms for before and after school as I felt it would have been a bit busy during the day. I hope this all makes sense!! Ds2 is a quiet soul, and I think it would have been a bit much, but every child is different, so go with your instincts for your ds

Lola10 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:05:33

It might be too busy if he is not used to.

I have got 18 months old, my cm has got big family, he is happy there buy won't go to sleep at all. But when he is at home is only child, he enjoyed his piece and quiet, and go for his nap without any problems.

minderjinx Mon 11-Jul-11 06:56:45

I think I would arrange to visit with your son and see how he is there, and also how busy/calm the atmosphere there is during the working day - as well as talking through how they manage practicalities such as mealtimes, naps, travel to outings and the school run. I'd also check their registration conditions - I'd be surprised if they are allowed six under threes plus their own, who would figure when calculating numbers even if at nursery (at least in England). So except in very special circumstances (which would be noted on their certificate) I'd expect them to only be able to take 5 pre-school children including yours at any time.

GreenTeapot Mon 11-Jul-11 07:04:30

It depends on the child. DS hated his first CM because her house was hectic and he struggles to switch off when tired. DD is a different character altogether and their current CM has loads of grandkids who the minded kids spend lots of time with and she loves all the action, but can be persuaded to nap too.

I think with a young child I'd generally err towards choosing a quieter setting if I had the option though. Then if they're having a bad day there's more time for them to be cuddled/carried/paid the attention that a tiny person needs sometimes.

HSMM Mon 11-Jul-11 07:43:15

There are pros and cons both ways. I used to Childmind in my own and it was a lot quieter than it is now that I work with my DH. However ... it is now easier to give each child 1:1 time, because there is someone else to play with the other children.

I do have a quiet nap room, for the children who cannot sleep near all the excitement.

You need to go with what feels right for you and your child really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now