Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Mindees sleeping upstairs. Please advise.

(10 Posts)
littleoldme Sun 10-Jul-11 18:40:49

I'm currently doing my pre reg training. i was suprised to be told that having children upstairs can be a problem as it is difficult to demonsytrate to OFSTED how you would get them out in a fire.

Due to the lay out of our house it is not practical to have them sleeping anywhere else.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on how to deal with this ?

boombangabang Sun 10-Jul-11 19:40:46

We have them upstairs to sleep, no problem with the ofsted lady or fire risk etc. She did ask us to amend our fire policy in the event of a fire if we had a mindee sleeping overnight, but that's another issue I think.

littleoldme Sun 10-Jul-11 20:25:01

That's helpful thanks. From what I have been able to glean it seems to depend on the inspector.

littleoldme Mon 11-Jul-11 10:00:50

Bump

Mum2Luke Mon 11-Jul-11 11:13:59

I have the same problem littleoldme, I am ok with the older ones at school during the term-times but what about holidays when they are at home all day?

I have one lounge, dining room and kitchen and a small hall so not a practical solution unless the child is upstairs in a quiet room.

I don't do overnight care but when my eldest is back at uni I can use his room as I can put a travel cot in there.

littleoldme Mon 11-Jul-11 11:21:28

Thanks M2L. Did ofsted have any issues with them being upstairs or is it ok ?

gardenpixies32 Mon 11-Jul-11 14:24:40

Mine sleep upstairs (I have 2 travel cots in the same bedroom). I had my inspection in May and the inspector did ask where they sleep and she was happy with my arrangement. I do have one little on that sleeps in the pushchair in the hall.

I dont see it being a problem at all tbh

minderjinx Mon 11-Jul-11 18:12:10

Be prepared to be asked how often you check on sleeping children and how you would ensure any other children in the house were safe while you did that. Whilst I think it's probably true that inspectors vary, I have heard that they are keen that sleeping children are watched or checked rather than relying on a monitor.

bigdonna Mon 11-Jul-11 18:43:14

i have in the past put a mindee in a travel cot upstairs,i recently had my inspection i was only asked where i put a child to sleep they didnt check the room.i told them the mindee i have a the moment sleeps in her buggy(i have apermission slip)

littleoldme Tue 12-Jul-11 13:39:52

Thanks everyone. That has cleared things up. The way the trainers spoke about it it sounded like a big no no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now