Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny dilemma

(6 Posts)
RLRefugee Sun 10-Jul-11 09:28:44

hello all, as for all my important decisions, I need MN to make it for me smile

we're looking for a P-T nanny for our girls (3 and 5), after school. we've interviewed two ladies: one is young, energetic, lovely manners and artistic temperament, not much experience as a nanny but i think she would be perfect for our girls. The other is a mature lady, worked as a nanny/housekeeper for many years, is a mother herself.

we liked the first one better- purely because we thought she could complement our parenting better, giving the girls exposure to another type of personality and background, stimulate them etc. The second lady was also ok, but not as sparkly.

trouble is- nanny number 1 is only going to be around for another 9 months whcih will mean starting all over again in march. I know childcarers can always leave.... but idk.

what do you think? what would you do?

thaaaannks smile

MogandMe Sun 10-Jul-11 09:53:16

I would go for number 1

redglow Sun 10-Jul-11 09:58:20

I would go for number two. In nine months you will be back to interviewing again.

NannyBeth Sun 10-Jul-11 11:34:06

I would go for number one. To me, personality would trump potential length - you could hire the older lady and in 6mths she could decide she needs more hours or anything and you'd be back to interviewing again anyway.

RLRefugee Sun 10-Jul-11 12:28:00

thanks guys- my mind is made up- i'll go for number 1... who knows where we'll be or what we'll be doing in 9 months [fatalistic]

now fingers crossed she says yes!

bubaluchy Sun 10-Jul-11 19:00:14

If you treat her well she may scrap her plans and stay with you, that is what happened to me on my '3 month' nanny job in New Zealand, I was with them for 3 years in the end because they were all so lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now