Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

suspect nanny may have been dipping into DCs money boxes

(10 Posts)
driedapricots Fri 08-Jul-11 19:08:01

what would you do/say? i have no proof!

Stars22 Fri 08-Jul-11 19:39:52

What reason do you think it was your nanny? and not your children or another adult. How long has the nanny been with you? and how much do you think has been taken?

nannynick Fri 08-Jul-11 20:36:18

Relocate the money boxes to somewhere more secure. Keep an eye on the amount in the moneybox and bank it more frequently.

It would be very hard to say it was any one individual given who would have access to money boxes. Children themselves may access them depending on their ability to open it, or to jiggle it up and down till coins fall out.

StillSquiffy Sat 09-Jul-11 09:35:54

I'd need to know for sure, couldn't just hide the boxes away as it would just gnaw away at me, not knowing.

I have had a nanny steal from me before.... I would personally mark a couple of £10 notes and put in the boxes and check boxes every day, before nanny leaves for the day (assuming you can do this without her knowing), and if the money disappeared one day, then before she left, I would ask her if she could pick up something children-orientated on her way to work the next day (cereal, petrol, nappies, whatever) and give her £20. Then say, oh I need some money myself tonight, do you have £10 change so that I'm not short myself? And check if it's the marked stuff she gives you back.

thebody Sun 10-Jul-11 18:07:22

blimey StillSquiffy.. you be good at Scotland yard....

how horrible to think someone in your house is stealing, better be sure of your facts though before accusing her..

nannyl Sun 10-Jul-11 18:50:57

How awful sad
Difficult to say anything if you cant prove it but angry angry angry at anyone who would still £ from a childs piggy bank sad sad sad

And should you get any sort of proof than no way should you let her stay another minute. Id sack immediately for gross misconduct and write the most basic of basic references. "Nanny worked for me from X to Y, looking after my DC called A and B aged X and Y I would be very happy to talk to you, please call me on this number"

Im assuming you can write that legally?

If i had proof id also go to the police. Theft is theft regardless and it would be nice if it being on her CRB stopped her working for anyone else, or via any agency etc etc.

Also Im assuming she has definitley stolen it..... thinking about a few times when i had no change for car parking and genuinely borrowed a few silver coins from charges piggy bank. always gave it back within days, and wrote in nanny diary that I had borrowed a few coins, or perhaps changed a £2 coin for silver coins from his money box..... and and ASKED my 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 year old charge, and explained etc etc.
(so had MB or DB realised it was £2 short, for 24 hours or so, even if they hadnt read the nanny diary, their child would have been able to say that we borrowed it, and that HE put the coins in the parking meter etc etc)

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 10-Jul-11 18:57:38

YOU NEED PROOF

WHY DO YOU THINK SHE IS AND NOT THE KIDS ANOTHER ADULT

bugger hit caps sorry

ssd Sun 10-Jul-11 19:09:09

you need proof

redglow Sun 10-Jul-11 21:57:04

Be very sure of your facts, I once worked for someone who thought I had taken a necklace, she found it three days later. After that all the trust between us had gone it was very upsetting for me at the time.

Could the child n ot have taken it?

driedapricots Thu 21-Jul-11 14:32:13

it's probably too late to get back to this..sorry, have been distracted. so, it's not the kids, they are 3 and 11 months! I'm talking notes, not pennies...and I have no idea how much was in the pots, i was just sure there was a lot more than i found when i came to take it out for the regular 'banking' trip! no other adult (bar a few very good friends and family) have been to house, and they are in the children's bedrooms anyway. BUT, i couldn't possibly accuse her as maybe i just over estimated, and i know i have taken out the odd note blush when desperate (well, i do buy them endless treats etc with my own money!!!). more cross with myself than anything for not keeping tabs on it...oh well. she's off soon anyway as our circumstances have changed so c'est la vie. Squiffy that is serious investigative stuff...perhaps i shuld just hack her phone too!!! thanks ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now