Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder crb checks

(6 Posts)
sunshineatlast Thu 07-Jul-11 14:28:47

Am about to start my dc with a childminder. DH said I should ask to see her crb check when doing the paperwork. She provided one for her and her partner. They are dated 2005 when she first started as a cm. Her assistant doesnt have one.
Does this sound ok to you?
Ive only ever used nursery before now.

niccibabe Fri 08-Jul-11 01:02:51

Sounds iffy to me.

The assistant is working with children, and presumably employed by the CM - so the CM is responsible for getting the assistant checked - and being able to prove it to you.

I'm not sure what the update process is at CRB, try the directgov website

ChildrenAtHeart Fri 08-Jul-11 09:39:17

CRB checks & childminders are a tricky issue & one we CM's are not happy about.
I was registered before Ofsted took over and before CRBs existed. I & DH had a social services police check but the only proof of this is my Ofsted registration certificate as Ofsted will not CRB us and say the cert is proof we are still considered to be a 'suitable person'.
Similarly, although CM's registered since CRB's were introduced will have been CRBd (and anyone aged 16+ living or working on the premises) Ofsted will not update these as they say there is no need. I guess this is the case with the CM you saw.

Re the Assistant though, they should have been CRB'd by Ofsted when the CM applied to have them registered to work with them. The CM's certificate should state they are registered to work with the assistant too. I would be querying this as the assistant must havea CRB and if not they may not be registered.

anewyear Fri 08-Jul-11 11:50:33

I have a similar experiance as Childrenatheart.
I was an LSA at our local primary school, so had a enhanced CRB for working there.
When I started childminding 3 years ago I did my traing thro Young in Hearts, they paid for the course and CRB's etc etc but I never recived a new CRB certificate from them.
I have in the last 3 years queried this with Ofsted, they each time have told me that they would not have registered me if I wasnt a suitable person!!
So I too have no current CRB to show prospective parents.

ayla99 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:15:16

The 2005 one for her and husband is fine, they cannot be updated so she would not have anything more recent. Ofsted say "Our regular inspection programme, as well as our investigations into concerns, provides the best means of checking that someone continues to be suitable to work with children. We have agreed with the Department for Education that we will not routinely repeat CRB checks to confirm suitability. We do, however, reserve the right to repeat any check – including CRB – if we get information that suggests a person may no longer be suitable."

The assistant should have a CRB, but I think there are some exceptions perhaps if they are under 16 or are never left with sole care of the children. Some assistants carry out administration, cleaning etc and may be less involved with the children, but even so as a regular visitor during childminding hours I would still expect a CRB to have been carried out.

www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Criminal-Records-Bureau-CRB-checks-for-those-providers-who-register-with-Ofsted/(language)/eng-GB

sunshineatlast Fri 08-Jul-11 19:32:02

Thank you that is really useful and put my mind at rest regarding her and her husband. I will make sure I see the assistant's crb check before my children start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now