Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder crb checks

(15 Posts)
sunshineatlast Thu 07-Jul-11 14:28:35

Am about to start my dc with a childminder. DH said I should ask to see her crb check when doing the paperwork. She provided one for her and her partner. They are dated 2005 when she first started as a cm. Her assistant doesnt have one.
Does this sound ok to you?
Ive only ever used nursery before now.

driedapricots Thu 07-Jul-11 15:27:25

everyone who comes into contact with kids should be CRB checked so her assistant should have one. i have asked for mine, better safe than sorry..

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 07-Jul-11 15:31:53

Don't they have to be renewed every 3 years? So one from 2005 would be out of date. Also her assistant should have one.

NickNacks Thu 07-Jul-11 16:22:05

No, they do not have to be renewed evry 3 yrs.

Assistant should def have one and i would check her paperwork to verify the assistant is offically okayed by Ofsted.

KatyMac Thu 07-Jul-11 16:22:36

If her assistant doesn't have one then they aren't legal. I have been pulled up by OFSTED about it as (pre EYFS) you were allowed an assistant without a CRB (& OFSTED approval) as long as they were supervised but you aren't anymore

sunshineatlast Thu 07-Jul-11 19:31:30

Thanks for your replies.

She had a recent ofsted and got outstanding, I was imagining that crbs would be checked then?

What paperwork would show the assistant has been oked by ofsted nicknacks?

NickNacks Thu 07-Jul-11 20:01:20

Her registration certifictate should give her numbers when working alone and/or when working with the assistant.

sunshineatlast Thu 07-Jul-11 20:13:19

Is that the EY number nicknacks?

So you think I should ask to see her registration cert? or just a crb for her assistant?

sunshineatlast Thu 07-Jul-11 20:15:04

Sorry that should say .. her registration certificate which should have her assistant on it and a crb for her assistant too.

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 07-Jul-11 20:47:47

Why do nursery school staff and after school club staff have to have their CRBs re-done every 3 years but childminders don't? I would have thought it would be the same.

nannynick Thu 07-Jul-11 21:26:48

Ofsted have not redone CRB checks for childminders or registered nannies. Why? Well I guess it's due to cost, staff resources, and the ISA scheme being introduced (though now that's been put on hold).

So as per the other thread recently about CRB checks, you can ask to see one but it may be old, or may not even exist if Ofsted never did one when they took over regulating from local authorities.

Nothing we as childcarers can do, have asked Ofsted to redo the check and they say No.

NickNacks Thu 07-Jul-11 21:40:08

Her registration cert should be displayed in the home or can be found online if you search the Ofsted site using her EY number or postcode. The cert should detail her ratios which will be broken down into who she can care for when on her own and then when accompanied by her assistant. I do not have a registered assistant therefore mine does not have this latter part.

Hope this is clearer but if not just shout again! smile

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 07-Jul-11 21:41:40

Thanks for the explaination.

I am in Wales and so things like that are dealt with by CSSIW rather than OFSTED. I know recently a friend who is a childminder got in trouble when she was inspected and her CRB had elapsed. Obviously it is done differently here.

KatyMac Thu 07-Jul-11 21:53:58

All my assistants have a CRB plus a letter from OFSTED stating that they are 'suitable' people to work with children; without that letter I am not allowed to employ them

sunshineatlast Fri 08-Jul-11 19:34:37

Thanks for the advice. Really helpful. I will ask to see the assistants crb and also check her registration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now