Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding on 2nd floor - no lift- will it work??

(7 Posts)
sassyminder Wed 06-Jul-11 22:22:05

Hya
I am looking into moving homes on the next month. I have seen lots of properties lately and the ones I like most arent ground floor and got no lift...anyways, yesterday I have seen one that is perfect for my family _ not necessary my business - it is on second floor without lift and it is split level aswell. It is right next door to my 1st choice school and my last chance to get my DD there as she is on the reception waiting list and we got my 5th choice right now. It is with a private landlord and we would not spend much to move in as there wont be agency fees...and as I am looking after 1 baby only, I could live his buggy downstairs and carry him up to the flat?? I could always do before and after school to top up my earnings...even if it is only for 1 year, I am willing to sacrifice 1 year earnings for my DD to get into the best primary school around.
Do you think will it work, I mean Ofsted wise, as the parents wouldnt mind, they do the same, they dont have lift either.
Any opinions much appreciated
Thanks

mogs0 Wed 06-Jul-11 22:29:00

I childminded in a 2nd floor flat for 3 years quite easily. I had 2 (sometimes 3) preschoolers per day plus my ds (was in nursery when I started).

During the day I'd leave the buggy downstairs then bring it up into the flat when all the mindees had left.

Ofsted were fine with it all.

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 13:42:49

So how many children you had to carry upstairs + bags and what would you do if they were asleep when you got home? there wanst a risk of the buggy being stolen? I guess the parents were fine with these arrangments too, did they took the children to you by car?

Fizzylemonade Thu 07-Jul-11 13:43:57

I may be wrong but you might not be able to childmind from a property owned by someone else. It is to do with the insurance.

Like I say I may well be wrong but you need to double check.

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 13:48:40

hello fizzylemonade as long as you have permission fro the somebody else who owns the property than there is no problem.

mogs0 Thu 07-Jul-11 17:08:55

I only ever had one non-walker at a time, the other would walk up the stairs infront of me. I'd make sure that I had a nappy bag that could be slung over my shoulder, leaving me 2 free hands.

Most of the ones I had generally slept after lunch so I just tried to get home before they fell asleep. The flat I was in was in a converted house, there were only 3 flats, I knew my neighbours so there was no risk of the buggy being stolen.

I found almost all of my mindees through word of mouth and no-one was ever bothered by me being on the 2nd floor.

A couple of mindees were dropped off by car, some I picked up from their homes and occasionally they'd be dropped off in a stroller which I folded and left in the hallway until home time.

You can definitely CM in a rented property but you are supposed to ask permission from the landlord. When I was a CM in London I was never asked to get written permission, infact I'm not sure if it was even mentioned at my registration inspection. In Wales, I had to get a letter from my landlady giving permission.

Lola10 Tue 12-Jul-11 12:04:56

I have met a cm that lived on the 3rd floor no lift. She must have been very fit, with carrying stuff and babies up and down. But never had a problem with anyone.

She had a shed on the parking lot for the pushchairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now