Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

VW Touran with twin stroller?

(13 Posts)
Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 05-Jul-11 19:58:38

Help - I need to buy a new 7 seater quick but need to fit a mclaren twin stroller in the boot with all 7 seats in use. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I have a grand scenic but its costing me thousands in repair (£3300 so far in mechanical faults on a 04 plate) and am not going to waste any more money on it, so am going for the vw touran. Anyone any experience of this car? Advice gratefully taken!!

Northernlurker Tue 05-Jul-11 20:00:58

We have a touran and like it but the boot is not very big with all 7 seats up. I think it might just fit but you'd need to check.
Re repairs though - ours has cost us about £1600 on repairs that we really don't think we should have had to have for the age of the car though.

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 05-Jul-11 20:19:19

thanks northern - what went wrong with yours?

Lilyloo Tue 05-Jul-11 20:20:33

I can fit a normal size pushchair in mine with all seats up , think you would probably squeeze on in with the height.

mo3d Tue 05-Jul-11 20:25:51

I've got a vw touran. I'm not sure it's a car you would buy to use the 7 seats all the time. The two seats in the boot have very limited leg room (ok for short journeys) and the access to those 2 seats isn't very easy.

I use my 2 extra seats when the children suddenly ask if a friend can come home. I have 3 children, that means that can take a friend each!

Does the stroller fold up umbrella style? If it doesn't, I'm not sure it would fit in what's left of the boot, and you wouldn't fit anything else in there.

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:09

it doesnt matter if nothing else fits in the boot when the pushchair is in there - as long as it will go in one way or another! yes its an umbrella fold - the length of it is the same as a single mclaren triumph stroller.

not too worried about accessibility to rear seats - the kids climb over from the boot to get into the the folding ones in my scenic - they love that!!

mo3d Tue 05-Jul-11 20:52:35

Then I would say it would be perfect! It's lovely to drive too. smile

Northernlurker Tue 05-Jul-11 21:02:50

I think you'll be ok with the kids getting in. I have no trouble.

What went wrong -

Before we took delivery the air bag canister had to be replaced
Then the boot played up and wouldn't open (fixed under guarantee)
6 months out of guarantee the ABS pump failed. This shouldn't happen really. Bill was £1400 but the garage negotiated with VW and reduced it by 50% for good will
Then last year the air conditioning condenser/compressor thing collapsed causing an £800 bill and a wait of two weeks for the part.

So we aren't impressed at all with VW's famed reliability.....
Nice car though

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 05-Jul-11 21:19:13

eeeek northern!! i guess any 2nd hand car is going to have risks - am hoping a vw diesel will be more of a safer bet than any other 2nd hand car with 7 seats in our price range (£5-6k)

also..i think you can from the research i've done but can you fit 3 car seats in middle row? (9m-3 yr type)?

Danthe4th Tue 05-Jul-11 21:22:51

I wouldn't buy a touran, we have one on hire at the moment as the milkman wrote off my fiat ulysse and getting in the back is really awkward for children, having to slide the seat forward is a real pain. But I am comparing it to my people carrier.The boot space is small but you would probably get your double buggy in.

Lilyloo Tue 05-Jul-11 21:25:25

I have 3 car seats in

The ABS malfunction is a problem in the Touran , we had ours fixed under warranty. Worth asking about before purchasing.

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 05-Jul-11 21:29:29

thanks all, some good pointers there. what do you love about the touran??

Northernlurker Tue 05-Jul-11 21:47:42

We had a britax baby seat and two boosters in ours. Can be done but again you should check befor buying.
I like the size of the car and it feels like it will take care of my dcs in an accident smile The boot is my favourite bit though - it's huge and I like the extra seats when needed. Interesting to see somebody else with an ABS problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now