Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

before and after school nanny - holiday pay

(4 Posts)
rosalia Tue 05-Jul-11 19:39:32

If I can find someone - I am thinking of employing a nanny for before & after school care (prob around 20-25 hours per week). I really just want term time - i.e. around 42 weeks per year. Does any one know how this kind of contract would work in terms of paid holiday?

nbee84 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:35:21

State school terms are normally 39 weeks per year - on this the holiday entitlement is about 4.8 weeks a year. The government calculator is unavailable at the moment as they are reviewing how it is calculated. Make sure you let the nanny know that the paid holidays are for during school holidays only and that time off term time is generally not allowed unless exceptional circumstances.

Some employers when offering a term time only job will offer a 'retainer' of half pay during school holidays - so around 6.5 weeks paid holiday.

What you offer depends on what candidates you get and whether you need to offer incentives or perks. You may well get someone who is quite happy to work term time only ie. a nanny with their own child. But generally term time only posts are not particularly attractive as it is quite a drop in yearly income and it's not always easy to find holiday work.

nannynick Tue 05-Jul-11 21:59:38

Minimum holiday entitlement is 12.07% of hours worked.

So if it's 42 working weeks excluding holiday and it's 25 hours per week, then I make that 1050 hours total per year, so 12.07% of that is 126.735, so round up a bit to 127 hours.

See this lovely post by MrAnchovy and also ones further down that message thread for more information.

rosalia Wed 06-Jul-11 20:34:27

Thank you both so much for this info - it's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now