Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help re: redundancy

(5 Posts)
suzysue2 Tue 05-Jul-11 15:28:43

We have made our nanny redundant (as we don't need her anyone anymore). She has worked for us for 6 yrs. We have given her over 4 months notice and we are letting her live in our house for the next couple of months. We would like to replace her redundancy pay with free rent. She is ok with this but does anyone know if we have to do anything legally to ensure this is ok? Any help gratefully appreciated.

nannynick Tue 05-Jul-11 22:06:02

Alas I don't know, so bumping for the evening crowd.

mranchovy Wed 06-Jul-11 01:16:28

To be safe, get an agreement drawn up by a lawyer but if you calculate her statutory redundancy pay (which is likely to be 6 weeks pay if she is aged between 28 and 41) and you both sign an agreement that sets out the amount she is entitled to and says that you offer and she accepts free board and lodging from [date] to [date] in lieu of cash payment, and that offer is reasonable, then it is unlikely that an employment tribunal would make you pay any more.

mranchovy Wed 06-Jul-11 01:17:38

Also, make sure you have gone through a fair process.

suzysue2 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:58:57

Thanks very much for the advice mranchovy. We are both very happy with this arrangement so will have an agreement put in place along the lines you have suggested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: