Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do you register a nanny?

(14 Posts)
mummaberry Tue 05-Jul-11 12:07:05

Have met a lovely nanny who was registered but it has lapsed since she has been on maternity leave. How do we go about getting her registered again?

Strix Tue 05-Jul-11 13:44:56

I believe she needs to register herself. Surely she knows this if she was previously registered?

Why do you want her registered?

nannynick Tue 05-Jul-11 14:08:41

Why do you want her to be registered? It's a very good question - what do you as a parent get out of them being registered?

What country are you in - different schemes in different places.

For Ofsted (England) there is a form online that the nanny completes.

Strix Tue 05-Jul-11 14:56:42

I was thinking that the most likely reason an employer would want a nanny to be registered is for childcare vouchers. But, if that is the case, are you aware it may take some time for registration to come through? And, so you might be holding vouchers for a while before you can use them.

nannynick Wed 06-Jul-11 01:08:40

Ofsted Online - should you need the link mummaberry (assuming you are in England).

Your nanny should first read the Guide to Registration and Requirements for the Childcare Register documents.

mummaberry Wed 06-Jul-11 11:38:23

She was registered but said her previous boss took care of it for her.
She has been on maternity leave and it just ran out this week.
Have contacted ofstead who said she could reregister over the phone - i.e. update the fee, then it would be effective immediately.
Am interested because of childcare vouchers - am I correct in assuming you can't use them if nanny is not registered?

nannynick Wed 06-Jul-11 13:12:34

As it has just run out, sounds like there is a grace period thus if nanny pays the fee they remain registered. They will also need to update their work location info having changed employer.
Nanny should cover all things themselves - they should check that insurance is still valid, if it isn't they will need to pay that as well. Also check that first aid is still in date.

You may like to read the documents for registration so you know what your nanny is agreeing to - and that the paperwork you have seen is suitable for registration, such as childcare training, first aid, insurance.

Yes they need to be registered for you to part-pay using childcare vouchers. The voucher company will ask for their registration details.

Stars22 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:12:58

I am a nanny. Are you sure she doesnt mean her employer took care of paying it. The nanny must have originally registered herself because she would have had to fill in the booklet sized form with her details on, plus send copies of her first aid and qualifications. Are you willing to pay the fee for her being registered? I think its £104 a year. If she can give you her number, which will be on one of her letters from ofsted then perhaps you could phone them and pay that way. As a nanny i dont think its fair asking the nanny to pay for it as it doesnt have any benefit to the nanny atall infact its more of an inconvience in some ways. My vouchers i get from my employer and have to post it myself and then after that it takes 3- 4 days to clear. You are right about the vouchers you can only use them for nannies if they are registered.

Strix Wed 06-Jul-11 15:01:19

As am employer i wouldn't pay the fee for a new hire as that is a requirement to get the job. Once she was my nanny, I might consider it because that is something I require of an existing employee.

The benefit to the nanny is that she qualifies for the job.

I thought the point of childcare vouchers was to give parents a tax break, and not an excuse to charge them more fees.

CharlieCoCo Sun 10-Jul-11 20:12:40

or, looking at the flip side of that. if you want a nanny to be registered, which they need to be with an employer who qualifies, cant just do it randomly, then u need to pay for it as its you who benefits not me. if you wont pay the hundred to save yourself thousands, il just take the job that doesnt need me to be and saves me the hassle of getting vouchers and split pay, because it is a hassle! but, if u pay for it, im happy for u to have a registered nanny. but its like with everything, u get what u PAY for.

fraktious Mon 11-Jul-11 13:16:02

But there are plenty of previously registered candidates. If I want someone registered so I can start using vouchers immediately I expect registered candidates to apply. If I want a driver I expect someone with a valid license to apply. It is a job requirement, if you don't meet it you don't apply. I certainly never did and I've disregarded plenty of CVs because they didn't meet my clearly stated requirements.

Nannies need to read ads carefully. If it says OFSTED reg then that's what the employer wants. A nanny can register independently when job seeking. If the employer want someone willing to register i.e. fill in the form, therefore meeting the requirements already, then that's what they want and there's room for negotiation on who pays the fee. If they say nothing, take the nanny on without meeting the requirements and then expect them to register the employer should contribute as it wasn't in the original agreement and the nanny may not have taken the job if they'd known.

It all depends what is stated upfront.

CharlieCoCo Mon 11-Jul-11 17:44:55

a nanny cant register indepently without a job, or at least the couldnt, unless they have changed the rules.

nannynick Mon 11-Jul-11 18:07:15

The Ofsted form (CR1 by Hand) does indicate that a nanny can register with Ofsted without having a work address, subject to them providing that address when they start their job.

From the CR1 Form:
E2 - If you are a home childcarer, please complete this section if you know where you will be working. If you cannot complete this now, you must let us know the setting address before you start work and keep us informed if the setting address changes.

So yep, CharlieCoCo they changed the rules smile

CharlieCoCo Mon 11-Jul-11 22:56:49

ok, my mistake and i hold my hands up-thanks nannynick for letting me know smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now