Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny and car accident- what will you do?

(28 Posts)
zeus123 Tue 05-Jul-11 06:20:45

Our Nanny had a small car accident about a year or so ago ( she had the children in the car ) but said that it was the other persons fault. We thought that this could happen to any of us and but yesterday she had an accident and het car was a write off. I am starting to get worried. Luckily she was not got hurt and as she was driving to work she did not have the children.
She does the school pick up and drop off and after school activities.
We do like her and don't want to be a nasty employers but at the same time don't want to compromise our children' s safety.
I am totally confused and need advice to deal with this.

MollysChamber Tue 05-Jul-11 06:26:49

What are you suggesting, sack her because she had an accident?

Is she being charged with a driving offence?

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 05-Jul-11 06:31:51

I had a bad year in 2009 and had 3 accidents. Had been driving since 1988 and nothing and nothing since. Should I stop driving dd round?

They're called accidents for a reason. It's just one of those things. Unless she was drunk or stoned or playing Angry Birds on her mobile then you've no more cause for concern than you did this time last week.

zeus123 Tue 05-Jul-11 06:54:32

I never said we are planning to sack her and this is also not the first time. I don't know exactly what happened as she was completely shaken and did not want to discuss this over phone.
I have posted this so that I can get some advice regarding how and what you will do?
Now you have mentioned angry birds I know for a fact that she texts while she drives - may be I will insist that she does not do this in future.

malovitt Tue 05-Jul-11 06:57:13

My God!

Anyone who texted whilst they drove would never look after my children again.

MollysChamber Tue 05-Jul-11 07:02:31

Texting while driving is an offence (in Scotland anyway)

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 05-Jul-11 07:04:28

Was just about to post same. Yes my previous post was working on the assumption that some eejit pulled out in front of her. If she was texting then it'd be curtains from me too.

nannyl Tue 05-Jul-11 08:33:17

if she had 2 "accidents" then just one of those things.

if she EVER texts while at the wheel (unless stationary in a massive traffic jam or similar) then OMG you have every right to be worried.

Id make it crystal clear that if she is ever seen texting or using her phone at the wheel while your children are in the car, it will be deamed to be gross misconduct and = instant dismissal.

nannynick Tue 05-Jul-11 09:02:21

Whilst driving your children around your nanny must comply with road traffic regulations in your country, which I suspect would include not using a mobile phone.

Thing is... this road traffic collision (insurers don't call them accidents any more do they?) happened whilst your nanny was off duty. So as employer I don't think you can take any action over it - unless they are charged with an offence under law.

It does however make you more nervous about letting them drive your children around and I feel they need to be doing everything they can to make you feel confident in their driving ability - perhaps by doing some additional lessons which cover the events leading up to the accident, such as if it happened at a road junction/roundabout they might practice doing junction manoeuvres.

Dozer Wed 06-Jul-11 06:54:01

I would not employ someone to drive my children if they texted while driving.

zeus123 Wed 06-Jul-11 07:01:42

Well I have a little more info and it looks like that the car was to blame. There was smoke and some noises and looks like she lost control and went into a lamp post. No other car involved.
Do you think I can ask what the insurers said about the accident ?
Suggest she get a decent car ?

nannyl Wed 06-Jul-11 08:49:53

zeus123 to be honest i dont think you can.

If you dont want your children to travel in that car (which now its written off i guess wont happen) then YOU need to provide a car that you are happy for your children to travel in.

ShoutyHamster Wed 06-Jul-11 08:56:32

Texting whilst driving?

Instant fail.

Sorry, that just indicates that she thinks it's ok to try and 'multi-task' at the wheel. That is a dangerous attitude. Even if she insists that she only does it whilst at a stop. It's a slippery slope.

nannynick Wed 06-Jul-11 09:06:42

I feel that you can decide by looking at the car and documentation if you are happy for your children to travel in the car.
However what if you are not happy, would you then provide a car? Would you pay for a taxi? Are other transport options possible?

MollysChamber Wed 06-Jul-11 09:10:53

You have a right to expect that your nanny drive a car that is deemed roadworthy - ie taxed, insured and MOTed and has appropriate child restraints. You can also ask that the car be regularly serviced.

If you are still not happy then I think it is down to you to find an alternative. Use of the family car?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 06-Jul-11 22:55:40

tbh im not sure how to answer this

not sure why you are confused that she had an accident and dont know what to do regarding your childrens safety

accidents happen - i wrote off currents jobs car 6mths into starting my job - it was a 50/50 blame and accidents happen

db has crashed think 4 times since ive worked for them (5yrs) and written car off -

ive had countless wing mirrors smashed off as well going down a huge hole that was under a huge puddle and broke their wheel and tyre and was a £500 repair

do you trust your nanny/her driving

the texting while driving is totally different though and you need to address that

zeus123 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:46:47

Thanks for all your advice.
I will speak to her next week - want to give her time as she has had major shock
I will express my concerns regarding texting and I would want to see the insurance claim paper to get a piece of mind.
I will have to decide after that . I don't think it is her fault entirely and want to absolutely make sure of that.
I have always said here that she is a very Good Nanny to my children and would like to do what I expect my employerx

zeus123 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:47:52

Sorry posted too soon .
Contd.....
To do for me if I am in such a situation.

zeus123 Wed 06-Jul-11 23:49:16

Can't afford an extra car. Both of us drive to work

nannyl Thu 07-Jul-11 08:03:41

Zues, sorry but I dont think you have any right to see the insurance claim paper work at all shock
It wasnt even during work time, I think its equally unreasonable to ask to see it.
You just ask her what happened, and accept that

If you have a car accident do you have to prove it wasnt all your fault to your boss?
If you arnt prepared to provide a car that you are happy fro your children to travel in, then you need to accept what ever car SHE chooses (as others have said, so long as taxed MOT's and insured)

People DO have car accidents..... and tbh half the time what the insurers agree isnt actually the case anyway.... how many people do you know who have been in accidents that in reality are NOT their fault at all, and insurer calls it 50:50 or similar.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 07-Jul-11 08:07:03

How do you know she texts while driving?

zeus123 Thu 07-Jul-11 08:23:01

Oh she texts me when I know she is in the car

zeus123 Thu 07-Jul-11 08:24:17

I can't think of any occasion when she texted with the children in the car.

nannyl Thu 07-Jul-11 08:26:31

zeus, regardless off the accident i wanna make it clear that texting you (or anyone else) while driving is 100% unacceptable.
and this really needs addressing ASAP.

I would NOT let my children travel with someone who texts while driving shock
and you are not unreasonable to ask her to not touch her phone at all while driving..... as is the law anyway

nannyl Thu 07-Jul-11 08:29:20

although is it possible that on her journey she has a long queue at red traffic lights etc or level crossing.

while it may not technically be legal, if you are in a long stationary line, and know you are going to be there ages, as you do the same route every single day and always just sit there for ages, then its not as bad as actually driving and texting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now