Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Inspector came today when I had no children...

(16 Posts)
mogs0 Mon 04-Jul-11 22:39:03

I have filled in a ridiculously long self-evaluation form and a detailed weekly planner, stating which days/times I have children, ready to have my inspection.

Inspector phoned last week to confirm days/times that children will be here.

She turned up this morning, told me she was here to do inspection and looked very unimpressed when I informed her that I don't have children on a Monday morning.

I got the distinct impression she thought it was my fault she'd had a wasted trip and ended up booking an appointment next week to come back out and do the inspection because, apparently, I am very hard to pin down hmm.

Also, I caused some confusion by using MN-speak on the form - she thought 'Mindee' was the name of a child I was looking after - but surely she must have thought it strange that I'd be looking after 5 children called 'Mindee' as I had been referring to Mindee1, Mindee2 etc grin.

Roll on next week to get this over and done with!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 04-Jul-11 22:44:03

aaargh

(I think I referred to the children as The Minded Children at my inspection)
and good luck for when it does happen x x x

mogs0 Mon 04-Jul-11 22:55:53

Thanks!

I'm quite calm about it at the moment but I know I'll be a wreck next weekend.

I'm absolutely positive that I filled in the self-evaluation forms incorrectly and that a lot of my policies/procedures need ammending to cover the new NMS (Wales).

nannynick Mon 04-Jul-11 23:44:08

Least they rescheduled, I suppose they could have insisted on doing the inspection there and then.

mogs0 Mon 04-Jul-11 23:56:32

Judging by her huffing/puffing/tutting, I assumed she wasn't 'allowed' to do her assessment unless there was a child here.

RosieGirl Tue 05-Jul-11 08:15:22

When she does arrive again, be extra bright and breezy, big smile, "Hi thanks soooo much for coming back, lovely to see you again, hope you have had a good week......."

I think she could have inspected you without children, but you would have only gained a satisfactory, so its good she is going to come back.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

RosieGirl Tue 05-Jul-11 08:17:21

I didn't mean "only" a satisfactory in a negative way, I just meant I don't think you can get higher, even if you deserve it smile.

HSMM Tue 05-Jul-11 08:48:52

Sorry .... still sniggering that she thought 'mindee' was the name of a child grin.

It's good that she agreed to come back, but like RosieGirl suggested, you should pretend that she is the most helpful accommodating person you have ever met hmm.

642 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:08:24

A chilminder I know very recently was inspected when no mindees were there and she got an 'Outstanding' confused

How does that happen ?

mogs0 Tue 05-Jul-11 17:42:29

We don't get graded here in Wales.

She had a detailed timetable of when I would have children with me and she also phoned to confirm exactly when I'd have children so I'm assuming that it was important that there be children here when the inspection took place hence why she rearranged.

I was just a bit put out that she implied that I had inconvenienced her by not working when she turned up eventhough I never have a child on a Monday morning as per my detailed timetable and phone convo with her!!

HSMM - I was glad it took me a few minutes to work out who she was referring to when she said I was supposed to be looking after 'Mindy' - otherwise I would have, very inappropriately, started sniggering grin.

babybaabaa Tue 05-Jul-11 18:10:10

I think that the inspectors are paid per inspection, so even though it was her own fault for not checking your form she probably lost pay for that day.

MrsGravy Tue 05-Jul-11 18:24:25

Oh no, what's this Self-Evaluation form you're talking about?! I'm in the process of filling out the application form (am in Wales too) and that's complicated and long-winded enough, don't tell me there's ANOTHER form after this one??!

mogs0 Tue 05-Jul-11 18:38:14

It's as tedious as part 2 sad. It's similar to part 2 but you also have to include where your strengths/weaknesses are and how you can improve in each area.

When your inspection is due, you'll be sent the forms (also parent questionnaires, and an information form to find out how many children you have and when you have them) then you have 28days to fill them in and return them. Once the inspector has read them, they'll come out to do inspection.

I have a vague memory of being told about this at my registration inspection but it was a very brief mention and I certainly didn't expect the amount that needs to be done. I'm sure most people just sail through it all but I feel terribly disorganised and a bit daunted by it all. I'm sure next years inspection will be a lot less stressful when I know what to expect!

Strix Thu 07-Jul-11 17:20:39

Show her your verbal reasoning game:

Employer is to employee as minder is to _____ .

1. mindy 2. mandy 3. mindee 4. mindless (inspector)

mogs0 Thu 07-Jul-11 17:22:56

Ha, ha, don't tempt me!!

WhenCanIWine Fri 08-Jul-11 10:08:21

Strix, you made me snort! Very good!

My inspector found opening my evidence folder and reading the LABELLED IN BOLD contents sheet too much and I had to get everything out for her, poor love. She said 'Oh you get it, I can never find anything.' At which point she hadn't even looked inside the damn thing to try. She found my planning sheet particulalry tricky, what with my weekly aims hidden at the top of the page, in plain view. And these 'professionals' are judging OUR competence??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now