Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I AM taking these days off

(20 Posts)
Saltire Mon 04-Jul-11 15:18:16

I feel quite liberated grin (doesn't take much does it). I am taking one day off every week in August. Different days, but one day off a week! Just because I want togrin. Also taking <gasp> 1 long weekend off too

surfandturf Mon 04-Jul-11 15:47:41

Good for you - it sounds like you deserve it from some of your recent posts!

Grabaspoon Mon 04-Jul-11 16:22:24

Are you going to make 1 extra long nbank holiday weekend!? grin

Saltire Mon 04-Jul-11 16:48:03

No, I get the Bank Hol off anyway as all parents are militarygrin. haivng a long weekend at beginning of Sept for Dbs wedding!

Handed over letters tio aprents - who were all here and picked up an hour early!
1 set weren'thappy at all, and started getting quite rude another set were mumping and moaning a bit too

Grabaspoon Mon 04-Jul-11 18:52:49

Haha - I work for a military family too - 4 week summer leave grin

leeloo1 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:38:21

Good for you! smile

I told my parents I was taking a whole week off in the summer - with 1 family the mum got back to me saying she hadn't any leave left, but would check with her husband if he could take the time off and get back to me! shock and hmm. Luckily he could, so it was all fine, but I was ready to be very upset if they said no.

HavePatience Mon 04-Jul-11 22:30:59

Leeloo that is shocking. If you say you're closed, you're closed! It's not up to the parents! Parents must realise it is one of the things that happens with a cm. If they want childcare open 48-50 weeks per year, then they should use a nursery.
Although, I don't need childcare for 21 weeks of the year due to dh and my jobs, so perhaps I cannot properly empathise.

I thought most cms told families of their holidays at start of each new year so parents could plan their own holidays around that and finance possible need for extra childcare.... I guess that's not always the case.

HavePatience Mon 04-Jul-11 22:33:44

Sorry that should read:
If they want childcare open 48-50 weeks per year with the same closures each year. then they should use a nursery.

Saltire Mon 04-Jul-11 22:53:07

Havepatience usually I do, but a combination of - me feeling very used and undervalued and tired and worn out (have health issues) marriage issues,mum being ill, me being ill etc, i just decided to do it.

I have given them as much notice as I can ( contract says 14 days!)grin

HavePatience Mon 04-Jul-11 22:54:31

Good for you. Sounds like you need it smile

thebody Mon 04-Jul-11 22:54:47

good for you saltire.. leeloo 1, you are self employed, its up to you when you open and close..

none of want to piss parents off or be unreasonable.. i take 5 weeks off a year and all bank holidays.. lots of notice.

i have to close next wed from 12 noon for a hospital appointment and gave as much notice as possible.. thats life.. as said by HavePatience.. cms are a one man band so thats the deal...

leeloo1 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:27:49

Thanks. smile I know its my choice when I take leave, and I do give lots of notice, usually 2-3 months (contract says 14 days), but what do you do if parents say no as they have no leave left? (Other than weep, cos they should know I've only taken 2 weeks off this year, so have 2 more to take and should have accounted for that instead of bringing their child each day whilst they had 4 weeks off - not that I'm bitter grin!)

leeloo1 Tue 05-Jul-11 14:31:14

An feeling very bitchy now! I do know they have a total right to bring their child to me while they have time off - and fully support their need to have some 'me' time - it just made me go hmm when I was told I might not be able to have any leave because of it!

Also, sorry for slightly sidetracking your thread Saltire. I hope you're making lots of lovely plans for your days off. smile

Saltire Tue 05-Jul-11 14:54:27

Leeloo - I was perhaps a bit out of order with one set of parents this morning. The dad is a SAHD, I havemindee 3 days one week,4 days the next. The mum has no leaveleft!
She said to me this morning "well I don't know how we are going to manage, espcially if your day off falls on a day you are meant to have x, I wish I could take days off willy nilly to spend with my child"
To which i replied " mrs x, you choose to take your days off when your child is with me, so you can "spend quality time with your DH". You go off and do things with him. That's' your choice, to do that, I choose to spend my days off with my children"?

Grabaspoon Tue 05-Jul-11 15:11:55

HAHA Saltire - WELL SAID!!!

HavePatience Tue 05-Jul-11 17:04:48

grin well done!
I have never, ever sent DS to our cm when I am not working. People can do what they want to and I won't judge anyone who does it, but I can't understand it confused

leeloo1 Tue 05-Jul-11 17:41:27

Lol, well done Saltire! Grr at "especially if your day off falls on a day you are meant to have x" - surely thats the whole point, that you have x number of days leave from that child/family?

Some parents just do not seem to understand that we need leave too?! Especially irritating as most of my parents seem to work very part-time and I work 55+ hour weeks so I am probably just a bit jealous which is unreasonable as I choose to work fulltime but wouldn't if I didn't need -the-- money!

HavePatience I can kind of understand it... some parents (hearteningly!) do seem to want to have days off with their children, but others just seem to want/need every day off to be time to themself. The only time its really annoyed me is the parents who brought their child in on Christmas Eve and collected them an hour late, as they were 'really enjoying having the time to finish off all those last minute jobs without the x in the way'. sad Yeah, I might have liked some time to get myself ready for Christmas too. sad Actually I ended up having a vomitting bug on xmas day, so it was a bit of a washout anyway, but it still didn't help.

HSMM Tue 05-Jul-11 19:45:14

leeloo1 - If they say they have no leave left, then it's really not your problem. I do however ask around local CMs on behalf of my parents, to try and ensure that my leave can be covered if necessary.

anewyear Wed 06-Jul-11 10:25:13

They're quite amazing sometimes parents arnt they?
I mind 4 kids, 3 sets of parents, on their contracts, they are all after schoolers, term time only..
1 set of parents has asked for care for 2 of the weeks in August, they requested this back at the beggining of the year smile
The other 2 have hinted they will need care, but have not asked if I am having any leave/or if I can even have their children yet!!

thebody Wed 06-Jul-11 20:45:04

anewyear. if it suits you have them, if not dont.. yes parents are funny sometimes.. how dare you think you can take a holiday in August with your own dcs... you as bad as leeloe... BIG LOL..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now