Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Foundation Degree: Early Childhood

(10 Posts)
Grabaspoon Mon 04-Jul-11 15:01:51

Hi all

I have the opportunity to do this course this academic year and wondered if anyone could give me any input into the course and what does a foundation degree mean?

smile

Scathac Tue 05-Jul-11 10:26:23

Foundation degree usually means it is not a full degree, but is the first two years of a degree (I think in the States they call it an Associate Degree). Look at the letters the degree confers - if it is a B.A. then that is a full degree. If it is a BTEC it is not. It is about the same level as an HND, and gives you entry to a degree course at an advanced level. hope that helps.

eragon Tue 05-Jul-11 13:45:18

I am just coming to the end of my first year of the early years foundation degree. its been hard work, and i really am grateful for the support of my bosses at work.
I would say go for it!

Grabaspoon Tue 05-Jul-11 15:36:47

Eragon - what hours do you work? and how much study? I am looking at working 3 days a week 7.30-5.30 and 2 days 7.30-8.45 and 4-5.30 would that give me enough time to study?

pippin26 Tue 05-Jul-11 15:59:05

I have just completed my BA (got my results today!!) I done the FD first of all - I throughly enjoyed it. It was interesting and it helped me change and improve my practice no end... actually it help me as a person.

I won't say its been easy - at times i wanted to throw in the towel.

I would say if you get the chance - go for it

But consider carefully - the hours of study you are going to have to commit to - I am not on about the actual hours attending lectures/class but the additional reading hours, researching, drafts, writing up of reports/essays etc, preparing presentations. Its long hours - often into the night and weekends. Family time is impacted - you NEED the support of the family and friends. Work time is impacted too - I have fallen SOOO far behind with some of my admin I pray and hope I am of Ofsteds radar for a good long while!!!

Grabaspoon Tue 05-Jul-11 16:47:53

Hey Pippin.

Hope results were good smile

I am a nanny so apart from playing - I don't have anypaperwork to keep on top of smile and as said above am hoping that I can do 3 full days a week + 2 helping the boss with DC's nursery dropp off/pick up - giving me 2 days to study etc + evenings and weekends.

Well I've decided to go for it grin

Samedi Tue 05-Jul-11 20:24:33

I'm hoping to start the Early Years Degree with the OU in Oct, its a much better option for me- still doing all the work but no lectures/college time.

purepurple Tue 05-Jul-11 20:27:44

I have just completed a foundation degree in professional practice in the early years and graduate on Thursday with a commendation.
I work full time (40 hrs as a nursery nurse) and have a family too.
It was hard work finding the time to do it, but I have enjoyed it so much and I have learnt loads.
A foundation degree is a level 5 qualification. I am doing another year to top it up to a BA Hons degree in Early Childhood.
Good luck, grabaspoon.

HSMM Wed 06-Jul-11 07:48:55

Finished my Foundation Degree last year and just working on my BA. It is a long hard slog and your family have to be REALLY supportive, but I am really pleased I did it. I would probably have gone on to do my BA(Hons), but I think my DH would have a nervous breakdown and my daughter would probably be hmm.

HSMM Wed 06-Jul-11 07:49:23

Oh ... forgot to say, I work 4 days a week, 10 hrs per day and didn't put in as many hours as I should have done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now