Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder providing 'nursery funding' instead of nursery...what do they have to do?

(5 Posts)
LibbyLou123 Sun 03-Jul-11 19:24:03


I'm a childmidner and was just wondering what I have to do to be able to accept 3 and 4 year olds for their free childcare......haven't explained that very well have I?!

I mean for the parents to be able to get the 5 free sessions a week that they are entitled to, from me, instead of a nursery.

Is it a lot more paperwork for me? Do I have to attend monthly meetings?
And do I write the invoice out as normal, and the parents claim the money back, for the funded sessions. Or do I just charge them for the normal hours they do at the moment, and I have to claim for the money for the funded hours myself?

Thank you!

boombangabang Sun 03-Jul-11 19:33:51

I do know that you have to have your level 3 qualification, then it's a case of contacting your early years consultant for more info. I don't have my level 3 yet because funding has been withdrawn and now I have to pay £1500 for the course. Bah

Bonkerz Sun 03-Jul-11 19:36:32

You do have to be level three qualify and also have to go through accreditation which is a long process and only certain outstanding childminders are chosen in areas. In my county there are 25 places a year to gain accreditation but this varies county to county. You need to speak to your local development officer.

LibbyLou123 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:01:50

Ooh ok thanks. I'm already level 3 and the person from my authority who is in charge said she would be happy for me to be an accredited childminder, but didn't really explain about anything else.
It's more the feeling of having loads of meetings to attend that puts me off. My first child is dropped off at 7.00am and my last one doesn't go home until 7.00pm. I'm exhausted some days after that, and attending evening meetings is the last thing I feel like doing!

nbee84 Sun 03-Jul-11 20:28:45

What do you charge per hour? I've read that very often the early years funding is often quite a bit less than most cm's charge per hour (particularly in the South) and you are not allowed to ask the parent to top the amount up to your normal hourly rate if it is short.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: