Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

time off due to accident at work - who is liable?

(3 Posts)
coolio2011 Fri 01-Jul-11 10:33:59

Hello I was wondering if anyone could please let me know that if a nanny has an accident at work, say for example I hurt my wrist while i'm playing with the child and i have to take time off work because i'm in too much pain and couldn't possibly work should my boss still pay me for those days? My contract doesn't say anything about it. It hasn't happened obviously as i'm on here! but I did wonder what if........?

fraktious Fri 01-Jul-11 12:36:06

This is why your employers need liability insurance. That may cover work related accidents. It would depend on the exact circumstances of you hurting your wrist.

I don't have anything like that in my contract but I do have that I'm paid in full if I catch something from the child so the same could reasonably apply. But if you don't have that then I'm not sure what applies.

mranchovy Fri 01-Jul-11 15:30:33

If there is nothing in your contract, then you would only be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (although your employer may decide to pay more - many employers don't have any additional pay in the contract to protect them against malingering employees but will in practice pay full pay). You need to earn at least £102 a week to qualify for SSP, you don't get it for the first 3 days you have off work, then it is £81.60 a week.

If your accident is caused by the negligence of your employer, you may be able to claim on their Employers Liability Insurance which all employers must have by law.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now