Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Voluntary nanny registration - anyone know anything about it?

(5 Posts)
QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 29-Jun-11 14:39:13

I am starting HomeStart volunteering in September, and hopefully an OU Law degree in February, and will be able to claim some childcare costs for DS(currently 10mo).

One of the women I live with (in a housing co-op) is already a trained playworker and is interested in registering as a nanny so that I can pay her to look after DS at home.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone use a registered nanny? We share a home, sort of - we both have our own private rooms but share a kitchen, bathroom, and living room - would that mean it wouldn't be classed as being a nanny but a childminder instead?

nannynick Wed 29-Jun-11 16:01:00

Probably ok, as they would not be using their room to provide the childcare but would use the communal rooms. So bit like a live-in nanny.
Do you both have the same address for council tax purposes? How about for TV licensing - same or separate licences?

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 29-Jun-11 16:20:04

Nobody here has have a TV, but yes its the same address for CT purposes. They'd use either the shared rooms or my own rooms, which are set up to be baby friendly. But we could just keep it to my rooms if that made it more clear-cut?

nannynick Wed 29-Jun-11 16:39:42

Just don't use their private room(s) and it will be fine. Anyway, Ofsted will probably never know, unless your nanny gets selected for an inspection and even then, Ofsted are only checking the nanny, not the building.

NMW regulations would apply I think as you don't have access to their private rooms. Questionable though, see other thread about NMW and live-in nannies.

Liability insurance is on the person as an individual, so don't think there is an issue there. Employers liability may be an issue as you may both be paying for the same policy.

Who owns the building, is it a committee run thing, charity, social services? You may need to abide by some rules the building owner/opeator has in place - is the person allowed in your private area for example? Are you allowed to employ someone to work on the premises? I would hope the building owner/operator would be wiilling to permit it but they may have rules they won't change, as those rules may be there to protect all residents.

nannynick Wed 29-Jun-11 16:40:04

Just don't use their private room(s) and it will be fine. Anyway, Ofsted will probably never know, unless your nanny gets selected for an inspection and even then, Ofsted are only checking the nanny, not the building.

NMW regulations would apply I think as you don't have access to their private rooms. Questionable though, see other thread about NMW and live-in nannies.

Liability insurance is on the person as an individual, so don't think there is an issue there. Employers liability may be an issue as you may both be paying for the same policy.

Who owns the building, is it a committee run thing, charity, social services? You may need to abide by some rules the building owner/opeator has in place - is the person allowed in your private area for example? Are you allowed to employ someone to work on the premises? I would hope the building owner/operator would be wiilling to permit it but they may have rules they won't change, as those rules may be there to protect all residents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now