Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

au pair police check .. then what?

(9 Posts)
coorong Tue 28-Jun-11 20:56:49

I think we've found an au pair on Au Pair world. We've skyped, email, etc and now I've asked for a police check. Also a scan of her student ID card (she's masters student). Anything else? Do you get a professional reference or what?

BelladiMamma Tue 28-Jun-11 21:17:12

Depends what country she is from - I don't have the full list but apparently APW / other off line agencies can check for you, depending on where she is from.

Also speak to the referees to make sure they are real ie not just her mates on a mobile.

Also, get her over for a trial week, on the basis that if it doesn't work out you will help pay for return flight. I currently have someone here on that basis (actually a UK newly qualified) who is not coping at all with being away from home and I am really pleased I did it on a trial basis. Others whom I'd skyped were happy to agree to a trial period. They know it makes sense for them as well. HTH.

catepilarr Tue 28-Jun-11 21:30:52

out of interest, why do you want to see her student card?

nannynick Tue 28-Jun-11 23:30:35

Copy of main ID page from passport (also see the passport physically when you meet them in person, to confirm for yourself it looks genuine - can be hard to tell but if it's damaged then it may not be genuine). Check details match with those on other documents, such as student ID card, driving licence etc. Just try to be as sure as possible that they are who they claim to be.
For more on documents to check, see the guide for employers on UKBA: Preventing Illegal Working.

If she's a student, is she permitted to work? Is she on a Tier 4 Visa?
UKBA says a student during term time on a Tier 4 Visa can work a maximum of "20 hours per week if you are studying a course at or above UK degree level or a foundation degree course, and/or if you made your Tier 4 (General) application on or before 2 March 2010".

fraktious Wed 29-Jun-11 09:05:44

What they said plus:

Confirm and reconfirm they understand the job and conditions

Some people ask for a doctor's note confirming suitability to work with children

Send the contract for them to read before they arrive, preferably before they book the flights and accept the job formally, so they can query anything/get someone who has better English to check it

BelladiMamma Wed 29-Jun-11 10:06:48

Reiterate Nick's advice - and also, as a note of interest, I called our local childrens' information service (found via NAFIS website www.familyinformationservices.org.uk/) on this very point 2 days ago, as I have been inundated with AP and other applicants because of Sept job advertised. Their advice was not as thorough or well informed as some of the stuff I see on here, but basically went like this (for a nanny / au pair so not all of this is relevant):
CRB check - some countries you can get a police clearance check
Qualifications - originals, including first aid certificate
OFSTED cert if relevant
However, and this threw me, she said to ask the previous employers what they'd checked and rely on their word. Not the route I would choose. I don't understand why people will rely on the word of other people they don't know or have never met before either .. hmm

BelladiMamma Wed 29-Jun-11 10:06:57

Reiterate Nick's advice - and also, as a note of interest, I called our local childrens' information service (found via NAFIS website www.familyinformationservices.org.uk/) on this very point 2 days ago, as I have been inundated with AP and other applicants because of Sept job advertised. Their advice was not as thorough or well informed as some of the stuff I see on here, but basically went like this (for a nanny / au pair so not all of this is relevant):
CRB check - some countries you can get a police clearance check
Qualifications - originals, including first aid certificate
OFSTED cert if relevant
However, and this threw me, she said to ask the previous employers what they'd checked and rely on their word. Not the route I would choose. I don't understand why people will rely on the word of other people they don't know or have never met before either .. hmm

BelladiMamma Wed 29-Jun-11 10:07:31

sorry blush for double posting

mikulkin Thu 07-Jul-11 09:58:17

health certificate, passport copy plus viza page copy if she needs one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now