Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Letting the nanny go - how do you do it?

(7 Posts)
olgafromthevolga Mon 27-Jun-11 14:37:09

...things are really not working out with my nanny (actually, there are two, they are friends who share the job) and I need to change my childcare arrangements. Does anyone have any advice on how to let them know I no longer need them?

MovingAndScared Mon 27-Jun-11 14:40:05

hi how long have they been working for you as employment law gets quite complex if its been more than a year

Strix Mon 27-Jun-11 14:47:42

Yes, depends on circumstances and why it is not working out. And what sort of childcare are you considering going forward?

olgafromthevolga Mon 27-Jun-11 15:38:05

They've been with me since mid-April and things are not really working out because there seems to be a big disconnect between what they are prepared to do, and what I have asked them to do. I want to change the job (after-school and holiday nannying) for a nanny-housekeeper role.

Strix Mon 27-Jun-11 16:34:06

I think that you can let them go quite easily since they have worked for you for less than a year. But, I also think -- and you should check this because I am not qualified to give legal/employment advice -- you cannot make them redundant and then hire another nanny.

If they are not doing their job, as presribed in the contract, then of course you should adress the specific issues with them. I would say I expect A, B and C. If you don't inprove, I will give a written warning. Then move to the written warning and on the third offense, dismiss.

Mind if I ask what it is you expect that they are not doing?

StillSquiffy Mon 27-Jun-11 19:16:19

I would simply sit them down and tell them that you need a nanny-housekeeper and not just a nanny and they need to let you know in the next 7 days if they are willing to do this and if not, you will be serving them their notice.

nannynick Mon 27-Jun-11 21:55:25

Agree with Squiffy and Strix. You can give them the opportunity to improve, via the disciplinary procedure. Alternatively if the job is changing significantly then you can tell details of the new job, offer them the new role and if they decide not to accept the new role, then you terminate their employment as per the notice period stated in their contracts.

They can't take proceedings against you for unfair dismissal (as have been with you less than a year) but could take action for Wrongful Dismissal such as if you don't provide notice as per their contract.

When dealing with people consider how you would want your employer to treat you if you were in a similar position. That way you will likely do the right thing and feel better about it, as you will feel you have acted appropriately. Keep a record of discussions you have such as by putting things in writing and keeping a copy, so that should there be any comeback at a later date you can provide a tribunal with evidence of how the situation was handled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now