Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Newly qualified live-out nanny salary

(15 Posts)
nannynick Fri 24-Jun-11 12:42:30

What is a fair salary for a newly qualified live-out nanny, West Surrey / North East Hampshire area, caring for 2 preschool children + school aged child?

I'm thinking 7 gross to start, then review after say 6 months. Is that about right, too much, too little - views anyone?

mumblechum1 Fri 24-Jun-11 12:45:04

That seems extremely low to me; last time I had a nanny 12 years ago, I was paying her £1100 per month plus I paid her tax and NI on top.

I would have thought the going rate now would be £16k plus?

headfairy Fri 24-Jun-11 12:49:09

When I was interviewing I saw quite a few newly qualified nannies, with maybe a year of nursery experience, no sole charge experience who wanted £7 net at least. A surprising number expected nearer £8 net. And they all still bloody talk about net salaries - bloody irritating. (I'm in Surrey)

We had chats when I was nanny hunting Nannynick, I was really surprised at how much nannies expected to be paid. Do you remember my thread about the nanny who wanted £15 net? Mind you, she wasn't newly qualified and was bi lingual, but still...

headfairy Fri 24-Jun-11 12:50:25

Blimey mumblechum, I was paying that only last year to a nanny with ten years experience. Mind you that was for 3 x 10 hour days a week so would work out a bit more for full time.

nannynick Fri 24-Jun-11 12:57:51

It's tricky to know as nursery salaries are still quite low in the area. As a nanny 5yrs ago I was on around 7.30 gross an hour and I was not newly qualifed.
Someone who has lots of experience can certainly get 10 gross, outside M25, rising the closer to London they are prepared to work. However without experience, what is realistic. Would a parent get applicants interested at starting a bit above nursery salary then having regular pay reviews?

nannynick Fri 24-Jun-11 13:02:08

Would be nice if there was some forumula that could be used to calculate salaries. Newly qualified nannies can't expect to be paid the same as someone with 5-10 years experience, can then?
Ultimately it depends on how much parents can afford to pay - if employers overstretch themselves then the job may not last long and there may be cutbacks in other areas such as outings/activities and mileage restrictions.

headfairy Fri 24-Jun-11 13:15:17

On one of my ads I had running I did put a salary of £8ph gross and I did get mostly newly qualified, or with maybe one year or slightly less of sole charge experience (I had one who had been an assistant to a nanny - their employers were obviously so posh their nanny needed an assistant!) I didn't really get anyone with more than a couple of years experience at that price level. I didn't mention salary reviews in the ads, if they asked in interview I said we'd do annual reviews and that we'd give bonuses if we felt the nanny had gone above and beyond her duties and had worked extra hard.

headfairy Fri 24-Jun-11 13:22:01

It's hard to work out a formula I think because I think a nanny is worth what a family is prepared to pay. I've interviewed people who I thought were unsuitable and although their salary expectations were in line with what I could afford, they weren't right for us. I'm sure they're perfect for someone else though so they would almost certainly get what they wanted, possibly more.

Because of that though it's a real mine field for people looking for nannies for the first time. They have no idea how to pitch the salary. I was advised against it on here, but I had a couple of ads running that had no salary details. Because I'd never employed a nanny before I had no idea what to expect and thought perhaps we could really stretch ourselves if someone was amazing. We did find a really lovely nanny, and we did stretch ourselves to pay her (I wouldn't have done for many of the others I saw who had more experience) but ultimately she needed work for 5 days a week and I only work 3.

When our current nanny came for interview I got "that feeling" again that she was lovely and would be perfect so I asked her what she wanted to be paid, she came up with a figure we could afford so she got the job. Her salary expectations were very realistic, but then she's Polish so maybe her expectations were different to those of people born here.

nannynick Fri 24-Jun-11 18:57:57

Problem is I suppose that some people have training, some have experience, some have both. If someone has one and not the other that does not mean they aren't an excellent nanny, they could well be.

What a family can afford to pay will vary, what a nanny can afford to accept will vary. Ultimately I suppose it's finding a match between family and nanny.

headfairy Fri 24-Jun-11 20:17:00

well exactly.. that's why I think if you're looking for a nanny you have to be prepared for it to take a while, it's all about marrying up the right people with the right expectations. Of course you could pay an agency £1500 to do it for you but I'd rather spend that on a holiday grin

fraktious Fri 24-Jun-11 20:27:11

I have an approximate formula starting at min wage and adding or proporri

fraktious Fri 24-Jun-11 20:31:23

Why does my keypad keep disappearing?!

I have an approximate formula starting at min wage and adding or proportionally reducing according to qualifications, type of experience, amount of experience and other qualities. I've quoted a salary range and pitched a more precise number during phone interviews.

TheSmallPrint Fri 24-Jun-11 20:42:59

We pay our live out nanny about £8.50 (but actually we agreed an annual salary rather than an hourly rate) in home counties, she was senior in a nursery before starting with us. She is worth a lot more than that to us but we couldn't afford her if she was more expensive. We try and show our appreciation in other ways such as long holidays, being flexible about hours, lots of thanks and nice Christmas and birthday pressies, bonuses etc.

chippy47 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:51:27

I think 7k gross is less than minimum wage for a 5 day week. Itro £8/hr seems ok. We would like to pay more but do the same as smallprint.

nannynick Fri 24-Jun-11 22:19:28

NMW increases to 6.08 in Oct, so 7 gross per hour is above NMW.

Sounds like around 8 gross per hour would be reasonable for someone who was qualified but had done nursery work not nannying to ask for as a starting rate. Then as nannying experience is added the salary would rise over time, if they can find the employers prepared to pay the salary they desire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now