Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Dear All need you advice!!

(14 Posts)
dmo Fri 24-Jun-11 08:31:17

i am a childminder and a mum came to me for advice this morning and i had no advice to give so hoping you lot can help smile

child is a girl she was 2yrs old on saturday just gone

they have had lots of probs reguarding bedtime and it takes between 1-2hrs to settle her (i have suggested music etc)

anyway HV got involved and gave some tips

now since last week she has been taking her nappy off and wetting the bed thus parents coming back into room to change bedding etc, they have put her in all in 1 pj's that zip up the back, vests that fasten, tights etc etc but she gets out of all the clothes and then takes her nappy off

i am sure they have tried everything i can think of

what can you suggest

HSMM Fri 24-Jun-11 09:12:43

I failed to solve the nappy taking off thing ... have they tried pull ups, which she could still take off, but just might not. I got really stressed about it and then gave up, used a plastic sheet with a towel under the bed sheet and it just stopped after a while for no apparent reason.

Bedtime - regular routines are always a good thing, as there are plenty of signals for sleep. Tea/bath/story/cuddle/special teddy/etc. I failed on this one too, because I was never organised enough!

There are probably people with much more knowledge and experience than me on this smile

pantspantspants Fri 24-Jun-11 09:52:13

On the nappy situation, try putting knickers on over the nappy (so covering the tabs) or putting nappy on back-to-front so the tabs are at the back??

my DD2(2) has just got over about a month of not settling and taking clothes off, luckily only to nappy. We started having to be in bed with her until she was a sleep and to stop her taking clothes off/stripping the bed/crying/ attacking her toys etc, but every night i've moved further away, starting with sitting on the end of bed, chair, to door, then sitting on the landing and slowly closing the door more and more every night. This way she still thinks I'm there to stop her doing it, so she doesn't bother.

Its took a good month to get to the stage of putting her to bed, closing the door and saying "I'm here" and going down stairs.

ChitChattingagain Fri 24-Jun-11 10:44:27

Why not keep dressing her as per normal, and put a plastic sheet and a washable blanket down for her. Then if she undresses, leave her as she is.

It might sound a bit cruel, but perhaps leaving her in the wet bed for a short period of time? If they are going in and changing everything straight away then she has learned that this new trick of hers gets her lots more attention from mummy and daddy. Whereas if she is uncomfortable for a bit then it might not seem as much fun.

fivegomadindorset Fri 24-Jun-11 10:48:07

Not an expert by any means but had sleep issues with DD. Interested to know what tips the HV gave, IMHO she is not getting the attention she was getting at bedtime and has now started that to reget the attention.

With DD we did gradual withdrawal method which worked wonders.

nbee84 Fri 24-Jun-11 11:50:50

Masking tape wrapped all the way around the waist of the nappy several times.

Madlizzy Fri 24-Jun-11 11:53:08

Gaffer tape over the nappy tapes kept my triplets in their nappies.

fraktious Fri 24-Jun-11 12:32:07

Cloth nappies - Terry squares with a pin!

Have there been any big changes in her life lately?

bumpybecky Fri 24-Jun-11 13:26:35

we used sellotape with dd3 (after trying backwards nappies, vests, backwards pjs etc), we used to cut her out of the nappy with scissors each morning smile

HSMM Fri 24-Jun-11 13:40:34

See ... I was too chicken to say tape her in smile

BlueKat Fri 24-Jun-11 13:40:35

"we used sellotape with dd3 (after trying backwards nappies, vests, backwards pjs etc), we used to cut her out of the nappy with scissors each morning"

I know I shouldn't laugh... but... I can't help myself!
I had a friend who was a childminder and her charge once took off her nappy, pooped in the potty (very clever) then proceeded to wipe the poo all over the walls, floor, herself, the cat and the other children (not so clever). She should have used the sellotape method!

But on a serious note, I am glued here too awaiting the miracle answer...

dmo Fri 24-Jun-11 21:23:53

well had a word tonight at pick up and they are going for the sellotape method grin

bumpybecky Fri 24-Jun-11 22:05:28

I know it sounds bad, but it worked grin

I was desperate - dd3 was still sharing our room and I woke up one morning to find a naked baby with a VERY pooey bottom about 2 inches from my nose shock after that we used tape!

dmo Sun 26-Jun-11 20:11:56

OMG bumbybecky i would have feaked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now