Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Preschool only 33 weeks in a year, how do I find a childminder for the rest 19 weeks?

(10 Posts)
confusedperson Thu 23-Jun-11 23:36:51

My 3yo will start preschool in September. He will do 2 full days there, so this is sorted for 33 weeks in a year. However, how we are supposed to find a care for him for the rest of the year? Surely childminders don't take all preschoolers when preschool is closed, so where all these preschoolers go then? Any experiences would be appreciated.

Clary Thu 23-Jun-11 23:46:35

Well my DC all did a morning at nursery and then went to CM for rest of day. In holidays they just went there all day. Our nursery ran on school terms tho so only 13 weeks off a year.

I suppose if you are doing pre-school as full days to cover (I assume) yr 2 full days at work you need to find an alternative. CM is a possibility; others may be swap with other part-time mum/dad, you take some holiday, grandparents or other family, day nursery, a mixtur of all these?

Mousey84 Fri 24-Jun-11 00:29:29

In NI at least, it's normal for parents to pay a childminder even when the child is at playgroup/nursery- sort of like a retainer to guarantee a place will be available if nursery closed unexpectedly, or outside of term time. I'd imagine England/Wales/Scotland is similar. Also, I'd expect that a daycare nursery would do the same. You might be lucky to find someone who is happy to just work school ( or nursery) holidays without the retainer tho. Maybe ask any parents you know at the nursery if they can recommend their Childcare provider?

HSMM Fri 24-Jun-11 07:54:53

You might find a CM who will do holidays only (although this can be difficult with pre school children - much easier with school children).

Like Mousey84 said some CMs will charge you for the whole year. This is because of the change in age group once they start full time school - a pre school child will take up a full time space and unless the CM can get a term time only child to fill the rest of the gap, then they will lose money.

LoveMyGirls Fri 24-Jun-11 15:23:56

I am a childminder and you might be able to find someone like me who has teachers children term time only therefore having a space in holidays. hth

purepurple Tue 28-Jun-11 07:30:21

If you need childcare all year round then your best bet is a day nursery and not a pre-school, which is sessional.
They both follow the same Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum.

eyethangyou Tue 28-Jun-11 07:45:30

agree with purepurple - I plan on using a local authority nursery who will take DS for 2 full days a week all year, and they will deduct the funding for the free 15 hrs in termtimes from my overall bill.

That way I can get childcare from 8am-6pm all year round and just pay them the top-up without disrupting his routine with alternative childcare.

AMYJ1234 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:52:05

Or you could use an accredited childminder who will follow the same EYFS curriculum and be able to claim your free 15 hours per week funding during term time (the same as nurseries and pre school funding).

confusedperson Tue 28-Jun-11 17:37:36

Oh, I wish I thought about day nursery when I was looking for preschool for my DS. The preschool I have chosen is highly regarded in the area, but it does complicate the childcare. I won't make this mistake with my DC2.

pointydog Tue 28-Jun-11 17:49:33

So you won't need any childcare on the days he's at nursery?

Hmm. You need to phone all childminders and ask them if they would mind him for holidays only and, if not, how much they would charge term time as well as for holidays.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: