Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannyshare a good option?

(10 Posts)
spacebaby9940 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:40:33

Hi there

My 22 month old DD has attended nursery 3 days a week since she was a year old and is now very settled and seems to enjoy it there. We now also have a 4 month old DD who we planned to send to the same nursery in October when I have to return to work, again for 3 days a week. However the costs are mind-boggling and a friend suggested a nannyshare might work out cheaper (not to mention the convenience of handing kids over in PJs rather than doing the dreaded nursery drop-offs/pick ups). Do others have any advice about how to proceed with this or know of any families looking for a nannyshare in east London? I've had a peek at the nannyshare website but a lot of the posts seem really old (2008/9??) and I don't want to part with 25 quid of well-needed cash unless there's a reasonable chance of finding what we need. Thanks in anticipation of help . . .

spacebaby9940 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:46:11

Ouch, just seen there's a nannyshare section. Sorry, first timer . . .

nannynick Thu 23-Jun-11 23:05:23

You want other children coming to your house at an early hour of the morning, staying all day and leaving in the evening?
You have another family you need to agree things with, so if you want to go oh holiday you need them to agree to the dates.

Keep in mind that a nannyshare is when 2 families use them same nanny at the same time. It can reduce costs a bit but will have drawbacks in my view.

spacebaby9940 Fri 24-Jun-11 15:32:34

Thanks for your response nannynick. Other children coming to our house maybe ok (possibly nanny's own child?) and/or nanny going to another family for the remaining two days, but this wouldn't really cut costs. However my youngest will only be 9 months, oldest 2, and 3 (or more) children is quite a handful for anyone, given mine are so little - might be very limiting in terms of trips out etc. Realise there are other factors to consider - sick pay, tax, possible mat leave, holidays as you mention. Am also uneasy about leaving them with someone unless they are 100% fab and I understand 100% fab is hard to find and, of course, doesn't come cheap. A friend introduced me to a couple of local nannies recently and they were very unhappy looking and monosyllabic. The more I think about it the nursery drop off's feel easy in comparison - think I might have just talked myself out of it :-)

fraktious Fri 24-Jun-11 15:54:33

Nanny with own child may be cheaper than a single nanny but avoids the inconvenience of 2 employers. It doesn't get you out of sick/holiday/mat pay though.

100% fab can be reasonably priced but you may need to compromise, usually on experience. Personally inth

fraktious Fri 24-Jun-11 15:59:11

(message continued!)

Personally I think that yes, experience is very valuable and deserves the price tag but 100% fab you needn't be that very experienced, very expensive nanny. An ex-nursery nurse may be very good in a nanny share as they're used to balancing the needs of multiple children.

spacebaby9940 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:15:34

I guess that's true that you don't necessarily need someone very experienced fraktious - I guess you just need to get lucky to get someone who's naturally good with children/you get on well with etc. Ex-nursery nurse would be ideal as do worry about needs of all children being met if more than 2.

fraktious Sat 25-Jun-11 19:32:14

I have to say I quite want a relatively inexperienced nanny. Partly because I think they're more likely to adapt to our very baby-led parenting style, partly because I'd feel odd having someone older than me working for me and partly because my first nanny job was at age 18 and looking back I knew nothing, but that meant I was more responsive and eager to learn. Of course if there was an experienced nanny I clicked with I'd jump at the chance but personality and aptitude will often outweigh the logical (experienced) choice. I've spoken to 2 vastly experienced nannies who for their own reasons were happy to work for the wage we're offering (which isn't huge) and I didn't like them as people, whereas I really clicked with one 18 year old girl (but she was a bit too inexperienced in the end). So don't rule out having a nanny if you think it would be easier just because you can't afford Mary Poppins or have been put off by some nannied you've met.

spacebaby9940 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:58:30

This resonates with me actually - the younger, more inexperienced carers at my daughter's nursery are actually the ones I gel with most. May just be a personality thing, but I'm guessing also an element of lack of experience translating into an eagerness to learn/please and perhaps more flexible/maleable than the older, more experienced ones. A generalisation I know, but certainly something to keep in mind. A couple of nannys have actually now contacted me via Mumsnet, so we'll see what comes of that. Thanks again for such helpful input.

fraktious Sat 25-Jun-11 20:06:17

MN nannies are a cut above wink Almost every nanny who posts here comes across as passionate and dedicated - certainly not unhappy or monosyllabic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now