Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying nanny travel costs?

(10 Posts)
Clafford Tue 21-Jun-11 10:00:16

Should we be paying a nanny's travel costs?

We made an offer to a nanny this week. We had previously discussed salary and she said she was looking for £10/hr net, employer to pay tax and NI, which we agreed. At our second meeting she said that she was now looking for a contribution to her travel costs to make it £11/hr. She lives outside London within an easy commute to our house. Is this reasonable? It is very tight for us anyway and this extra amount when taxed and NIed really adds up. But in other ways she is a good fit for us.

RitaMorgan Tue 21-Jun-11 10:02:12

It's not normal to pay travel costs - does your employer pay yours?

Before you go any further though, agree a gross wage - dealing in net will make your life a lot harder.

eurycantha Tue 21-Jun-11 10:22:53

I`ve never been paid expenses for getting to work,only petrol money for using my car while I am there.

Novstar Tue 21-Jun-11 10:31:08

Regardless of what you call it or how the nanny justifies it, you should just think of it as an increase in her pay. If you think she's worth £11/h net then it's fine. Personally I think there are lots of experienced nannies around who would be happy with less than that. Oh and be sure to agree on a gross figure.

nannynick Tue 21-Jun-11 11:42:45

You only pay nannies travel whilst on duty, not to and from work.
If they want more per hour, then that's what they want - don't consider it travel.
Always agree a gross salary.

NorthernNanny Tue 21-Jun-11 12:14:59

She's lucky to be getting £10 an hour - if she's an experienced nanny then she'll know full well that you don't pay for her to travel to and from work and is trying to pull a fast one. If she isn't a highly qualified and experienced nanny then she's still pulling a fast one by asking for such a high wage anyway. Cheeky!

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 21-Jun-11 12:37:42

The inland revenue does not allow you to receive travel costs to and from your place of work tax free. it has to be taxed at source.

I agree with the others who say agree a gross wage, suppose tax codes etc change. You could be in the doo doo!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 21-Jun-11 14:17:43

def dont pay her travel costs to and from your house

It is very tight for us anyway

are you sure you can afford this nanny? dont over extend yourself or you may find your self begrudging paying the nanny

Grabaspoon Tue 21-Jun-11 14:41:54

Are you sure she didn't mean travel costs whilst working ie tube etc, when taking the children out?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 21-Jun-11 14:53:12

if she did mean that, then she would ask for a kitty/credit card - plus depending what hours she is working but if she wants to up 31 an hour then it wouldnt costs her £10/11 day (hours depending) to get to work

i think shes a cheeky cow to be honest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now