Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

leaving job - accrued holiday - bank holidays?

(5 Posts)
NorthernNanny Tue 21-Jun-11 08:17:36

I've only been nannying with my current family for just over 2 months but am leaving for various reasons. My contract states I can give a weeks notice anytime during the first 3 months of employment which is all fine.

Over the last few months there have been several bank holidays which I had off (I said to bosses before employment that they could give me bank holidays as part of my annual leave or I could work them and have extra days to choose throughout the year, whatever was best for them and they chose to give me bank holidays off so in my contract it states x days holiday entitlement including bank holidays) obviously I haven't accrued those days yet so I wondered - when I leave will they take money out of my wages to cover the days I've had off? or, because they were bank holidays and I had no choice but to have them off - should I still get paid?

Thank you

EldonAve Tue 21-Jun-11 08:21:44

I would expect a deduction of wages

Grabaspoon Tue 21-Jun-11 08:22:24

It depends on whether you were given bank holidays in addition to your holiday days ie 20 days holiday PLUS bank holidays or 20 days including bank holidays if it is the first then you keep them, if it's the 2nd then it could be argued either way.

nannyl Tue 21-Jun-11 08:22:56

if you were avaliable to work (as it sounds like you were) and they chose for you not to come in, then i think you should be paid regardless

nannynick Tue 21-Jun-11 12:46:35

Need more information.
Start date, end date. How many days holiday in total it says you get in your contract. If you don't work 5 days a week, how many days you work or hours worked.

Every day you work you build up holiday entitlement. So the question is if you have built up enough to cover the days you have had off, or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now