Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Using Au Pair World for the first time - a couple of questions for those who are already familiar?

(7 Posts)
sanssucre Mon 20-Jun-11 22:15:47

Is it literally just a facilitating website or do they offer further services i.e. once you've put your ad up, is it just down you and the potential APs to take things further?
- do they help the au pairs meet other au pairs once they are in the country? Is there any sort of support network?
- if for any reason it doesn't work out, is there a fall-back, can you speak to someone at au pair world for advice/support or are you on your own so to speak?

Thanks v much

Julesnobrain Mon 20-Jun-11 22:33:18

Hi AP world facilitates contact between AP's and families. The website has advice FAQ but that's it. It is however cheap. 39 euro from memory, an agency which would give you all those additional things you mentioned would be around £500 at last quote which was a couple of years ago. Personally I really rate AP world I think it's a great website, easy to use and you get lots of choice it does however require time and effort on your part to go through the process.

sanssucre Tue 21-Jun-11 11:57:39

Thanks v much, Jules. If you've used it in the past, were you worried about not having any support if it didn't work out? Did you have an agreement with the au pair that if for any reason either of you weren't happy, they would go back home?

StillSquiffy Tue 21-Jun-11 12:10:39

Even agencies can be rubbish if things fall through. In reality, so long as you know they have somewhere to go home to, and are willing to pay for their flight home you can just sit them down, tell them it's not working and get them home.

Then you start the search all over again.....

cheesetoastie Tue 21-Jun-11 12:18:13

I've used APW to find au pairs. You should write a job description and a contract that will cover your expectations of their duties, definitionof gross misconduct etc and holiday/notice periods. Don't use the one from the APW website, it is meaningless in the UK.
As for them meeting other au pairs, mine made friends at language school, from my networking in local area to find other families withau pairs and even met up with the au pairs of other mumsnettrrs.

sanssucre Tue 21-Jun-11 19:51:56

That's v helpful. Thanks both

coorong Tue 21-Jun-11 22:12:29

sanssucre
just pm you about aupair world
regards
coorong

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now