Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents sending children in when they are ill!

(11 Posts)
gardenpixies32 Mon 20-Jun-11 18:31:01

A bit of a moan!

I am ill! I have a nasty viral chest infection and didnt work today (had to text parents yesterday afternoon). I felt yuck for most of last week and had a miserable weekend. One of my little mindees had this nasty chest infection and his mum brought him in as normal with no mention of it. He wasnt his usual happy self, tearful and a lot of coughing. I phoned his mum to collect him (she wasnt all that impressed but did collect him). Unfortunately for me, too late! Apart from feeling dreadful all weekend, I also had to close today and lose money!

Sorry. Feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Ripeberry Mon 20-Jun-11 20:31:04

I feel like I'll be joining you soon. My two sibling mindees had the 'poo's' from hell! Little 11 month old had 6 dirty nappies and 10hrs and the potty training toddler (2.8yrs) had two accidents in his pants.
They both have streaming colds and the mum when she collected had lost her voice from a bad cold.
So I'll be either getting a very nasty bug or bugs! sad

Been washing my hands and surfaces like mad today!

KatyMac Mon 20-Jun-11 21:05:43

Surely you should have sent them home Ripeberry?

Poor both of you

thebody Mon 20-Jun-11 22:24:38

totaly sympathy.. i picked up a sicki bug from minded baby weekend before last.. called mum to collect but obviously got it by then.. spoilt whole weekend but was ok by monday....aaarrrggghh.

perils of the job methinks..

do hope you feel better soon but its a bugger loosing money..

chipmonkey Mon 20-Jun-11 23:02:50

Ripeberry, if that was our nursery, I'd have had a phone call to come and collect them. Did you do that?

Mum2Luke Wed 22-Jun-11 10:48:34

Honestly parents! Do they not care about us working and having a sick child who wants their Mummy or daddy there? I have a sickness policy - NO children who are ill (apart from odd sniffle) which means sickness, diarrhoea, chicken pox etc.

I charge half rate if they phone before 8 am and tell me their child is ill and won't be coming for x amount of days and full if they don't bother phoning at all and don't bring the child which is frankly their own fault. I don't mind being paid to relax with my own ds! grin

dmo Wed 22-Jun-11 13:56:22

well i feel grot today too and was in bed at 6.30pm last night (and it was my ds's 15th Birthday sad )
i text everyone at 6am this morning as i had been up all night, i have lost my voice and my throat is sore to say what was up with me and i would be very grateful if they could find alternative childcare for today with no charge from myself but if they couldnt i would take their child!! GUESS WHAT? every single child has turned up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so thats 7am till 6pm working today with me feeling like death

gardenpixies32 Wed 22-Jun-11 17:44:50

dmo - I hope you feel better soon, I feel your pain!

I was visiting my sister in London on the weekend and ended up having to go to A&E on Saturday night as the cough was SO bad. They gave me a pump and shoved me out the door. Anyway, I was not fit for work on Monday so I closed. Felt slightly better on Tuesday so worked. What a mistake! I think I massively overdid it and now I feel terrible. Just back from the doctors, she says I may have a cracked rib from the violent coughing! I am in such pain, it is awful! My OH has offered to have the rest of the week off work to help me out as we just cant afford not to have the money. I feel so annoyed with that parent who brought her sick DS in. I will be so much firmer from now on. I have learnt my lesson!

Sick children = no childcare!

Flisspaps Wed 22-Jun-11 17:55:20

dmo Next time you really should say 'I am unwell and will be unable to care for your child today' - not only have you had to work whilst feeling rotten sad but there is also a risk that the children will pick up whatever it is you have.

I have a sickness policy - no coming for 48 hours after last bout of illness, but I think it works two ways, so if I'm ill, I won't take children for 48 hours after recovery to protect them.

dmo Wed 22-Jun-11 18:01:09

i know just hate letting people down and i thought they would think "oh i dont want my lo getting thet!!!"

ChitChattingagain Wed 22-Jun-11 18:19:09

My CM and I keep in touch with what our DC have. Chances are if one of them catches it the others are on their way to getting it anyway so we have a slightly more flexible approach (eg both my DC and hers had tonsillitis at the same time, so she didn't mind taking my two and I didn't mind mine being with hers - they were over the worst of it and weren't mummy clingy).

Same with viruses, they all seem to catch it at the same time anyway.... But it only works because we are both very honest with each other. I warn her if mine seem to be coming down with something and it is up to her whether she will accept them or not.

Sometimes of course there is no warning. I dropped DS2 off once and 1 hour later he had a sky high temperature, no warning for me at all. I came back from work and picked him up as soon as I could.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now